Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ideas for Veritas' next tool

Quote Originally Posted by James Waldron View Post
    Ducks and splines are typically diy projects for Naval Architects, loftmen, and boat builders. Usage has become rare and these do no represent viable commercial products for a tool company. The are available in specialty (precious) boat building suppliers like Wooden Boat and Duckworks and the like.
    Well, perhaps we Art Nouveau people are a tiny community too.

Some small things I've always wished Lee Valley would stock.
    The Stanley specific sized screws that I can't seem to find. The 10/28...perhaps in brass...
    I'd love to replace the broken handle on my son's mini spokeshave.

I would love to see Lee valley expand their saw options, a Veritas panel saw, please.

New/updated version of the Stanley 42X saw set. I've been after Tom LN for years to bring this back to life but he says it's just too complicated. It's only 2 castings and some small machined parts. I'll bet Veritas would do it better anyway.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I was going to suggest a complete shooting board to go with the shooting plane I bought a few years back. A too long string of bad health issues has not only kept me out of my shop, but also off the Lee Valley Web site. Last night I see the shooting board is already available. Your designer's brains work faster than mine.

P.S. You don't happen to accept a never used aluminum shooting track as down payment on the complete shooting board? Only joking, as I would not do it as a businessman.

James

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Wentzel View Post
    Some small things I've always wished Lee Valley would stock.
    The Stanley specific sized screws that I can't seem to find. The 10/28...perhaps in brass...
    I'd love to replace the broken handle on my son's mini spokeshave.

I would love to see Lee valley expand their saw options, a Veritas panel saw, please.
    Interesting as one of my #42X saw sets is also in need of a 10-28 oval head screw in steel. My current fix is a brass screw that was adapted to the purpose.

How long is the screw you need Trevor?

The die to cut the threads was purchased here:

https://www.victornet.com/subdepartm...-1-2/1350.html

They have a $25 minimum so you may want to see if there is something else you can use like a die holder, taps and tap holders.

Currently my plan is to find a steel #10 fastener that can be used to make the replacement screw. Finding one at a reasonable price would likely be as difficult or more expensive.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Interesting as one of my #42X saw sets is also in need of a 10-28 oval head screw in steel. My current fix is a brass screw that was adapted to the purpose.

How long is the screw you need Trevor?

The die to cut the threads was purchased here:

https://www.victornet.com/subdepartm...-1-2/1350.html

They have a $25 minimum so you may want to see if there is something else you can use like a die holder, taps and tap holders.

Currently my plan is to find a steel #10 fastener that can be used to make the replacement screw. Finding one at a reasonable price would likely be as difficult or more expensive.

jtk

Hi Jim, the screw is for a Stanley 78. My current solution is having the level cap screw off my 151 serve double duty.

Tiny? I'll show you tiny!

Quote Originally Posted by Josko Catipovic View Post
    Well, perhaps we Art Nouveau people are a tiny community too.
    1. How many tools are specifically dedicated to Art Nouveau work, contrasted with, say, 18th Century Philadelphia woodworking? As a tool market, there's very little difference, if any.
    2. While I don't have any source of data, I'd guess that "Art Nouveau people" number in tens of thousands among the hundred or so thousands of woodworkers; apart from Asia, traditional carvel planked boat builders and the Naval Architects who service that market currently number in the low hundreds with a few hundred more who may have tried it once and moved on. The majority of those are building small dinghy and skiff designs. Current carvel plank on frame builds over 30 feet are very rare (again apart from traditional craft in Asia).
    3. Loftmen are no longer around at all, so that each boat builder has to find a good book on lofting and roll his own - as I think Malcolm has been/will be doing on his current build - or work to computer faired plans and Mylar full-scale templates from the NA.

Remember, the topic at hand is Malcolm's suggestion of ducks and splines as Veritas products. There's no "there" there.
    Fair winds and following seas,
    Jim Waldron

I'll add in one more request, straight from I-know-it-won't-happen-land: A good ripsaw. Yes, vintage ripsaws are generally available and cheap (I paid $15 for a Disston I'm restoring - but what happens when the supply eventually dries up?), but if you want something new, you're looking at either a) far too much money, or b) hit-and-miss, like a Pax. (I just finished stoning a brand-new Pax rip that came with a loose handle and substantial overset to the left.)

I hear you, but oh, how nice it would be to have splines that don't jump out and take out your coffee cup at the worst possible moment... I was just dreaming out loud, more than anything.
    And yes, i 'should' learn to draft on the computer... never comes out the same, though.