Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Work Sharp3000 Sandpaper ???

Work Sharp3000 Sandpaper ???

OK..so I've finally tweaked in the Wide Blade Attachment on the WS. Although the Guide is a bit finicky, it all works to give a reasonably 90* primary bevel. Problem is, I'm going thru sandpaper like crazy! I've read that one can use adhesive backed 6" discs by just making a hole in the center.
    So what kind of paper should I be looking for and how do I best make the hole? Best place to buy the paper? Thanks for the help.

I use diamond lapidary discs
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Search for 150mm diamond discs on ebay.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I use diamond lapidary discs
    Cool idea. Do they come PSA? Or do you use an adhesive to adhere them to the glass? If you use them without the glass platen, please share the ways and means?

TIA
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I put a normal sand paper disc on the glass platter and the diamond is held to that with the central screw knob.
    Chris

So that changes the level, if you have the Wide Blade Attachment? How long do they last? Are they flat?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Carey View Post
    Cool idea. Do they come PSA? Or do you use an adhesive to adhere them to the glass? If you use them without the glass platen, please share the ways and means?

TIA
    What Chris said. When you have one in your hands it all makes sense. They are a thin steel disc with the diamond bonded on to it so they aren't really flexible. The machine they are designed for just has a platen and a screw-down knob in the center to hold it, the glass platen and screw-down knob on the WS3000 is a perfect analog. Most people buy them directly from China via eBay or Aliexpress, there are US and European made ones but the price is multiple times what the Chinese ones costs and they are fine since we aren't polishing gemstone facets.

This is one variety of flat lap machine so you can see the similarity

AmeriLap1.jpg

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    So that changes the level, if you have the Wide Blade Attachment? How long do they last? Are they flat?
    They are about 1mm thick. They last a long time (how much more arbitrary can I be?) and long enough to save their cost over sandpaper multiple times. Yes, they are flat but they also register against the glass platen. Keep in mind the use they are intended for is cutting and polishing facets on gem stones.

FYI this is a VERY common abrasive setup to use on the WS3000.

Flatness of the combination of glass, plus disc is what I'm most concerned about. Seems once you commit to the diamond discs, the paper goes away. It would be far too much trouble to switch back and forth, what with having to readjust the table every time. I'm curious though...the discs don't load up? Or are they cleared with the eraser? I use diamond stones for hand sharpening, but I use water to keep them clear for abrasion.

Great - thanks for tip guys. Just ordered several and it will all become clear when I hold 'em.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Flatness of the combination of glass, plus disc is what I'm most concerned about. Seems once you commit to the diamond discs, the paper goes away. It would be far too much trouble to switch back and forth, what with having to readjust the table every time. I'm curious though...the discs don't load up? Or are they cleared with the eraser? I use diamond stones for hand sharpening, but I use water to keep them clear for abrasion.
    \

Don't get paranoid about getting the exact angle, it is not necessary at all. I wouldn't have a clue what angle I use on the mini bevel when I sharpen a chisel and they cut wood OK. If you took it to the enth degree the worksharp even with the original glass platen and adhesive paper is nowhere near flat just close enough. God help me I have started another sharpening debate! No method that a woodworker generally uses results in a truly flat surface.
    Chris

I don't use paper anymore but I have multiple glass plates from the sandpaper days so it wouldn't be an issue. Again they are designed to lay flat against a flat platen and are designed for cutting and polishing stone facets so while it is certainly possible to get a less than flat one from China I have yet to experience it and haven't noticed anyone complaining of this. The good thing is they are cheap, ~$10 gets one shipped from China. I suggest getting one and trying it out, I think you will be happy, if not you are only out a few bucks.

I also don't use the wide blade attachment as I use a Tormek for wide blades. They will load but not quickly at least with my use, I clean them with Windex and a nylon brush but an eraser would likely work as well.

Still concerns, if anyone can answer.

Still concerns, if anyone can answer.
    All I can say is it will be flat enough for woodworking.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Van Huskey View Post
    I don't use paper anymore but I have multiple glass plates from the sandpaper days so it wouldn't be an issue. Again they are designed to lay flat against a flat platen and are designed for cutting and polishing stone facets so while it is certainly possible to get a less than flat one from China I have yet to experience it and haven't noticed anyone complaining of this. The good thing is they are cheap, ~$10 gets one shipped from China. I suggest getting one and trying it out, I think you will be happy, if not you are only out a few bucks.

I also don't use the wide blade attachment as I use a Tormek for wide blades. They will load but not quickly at least with my use, I clean them with Windex and a nylon brush but an eraser would likely work as well.
    Thanks. That info helps. So the discs are used by themselves, with no glass or is the glass used under the discs? I also use a Tormek, but for all the set up time it takes, I'm hoping the WS will take it's place for primary bevels. I'll continue as far as possible on the WS, but will likely finish up with the stones and strops.