Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grizzly 16" Jointer Review- G9953ZX

Grizzly 16" Jointer Review- G9953ZX

I purchased my G9953ZX in late June of 2018, shortly before the US government imposed the tariff. I had difficulty finding reviews for this model. Hopefully, this review will help someone in the future.

I compared this jointer to models from Felder, SCM and Powermatic. At the time of my purchase, the G9953ZX was the only immediately available single phase 16” jointer, that I could locate. I was able to find 16” jointer planer combos, and 3 phase 16” jointers. After considering my options, I felt that the G9953ZX represented a good compromise between features and value. However, after a few months of regular use, I do not feel that compromise is a good word to describe this machine. I think it is an excellent machine.

Setting up the jointer was easy. I used a 10’ long aluminum straight edge from McMaster Carr, and a 4’ Starret straight edge to inspect the machine. The tables were co-planer, and very flat. I was unable to get a .001 feeler gauge under the straight edges. As I recall, the fence was either slightly bowed or hollow by a few thousandths. I’ve never used or owned a jointer with a perfectly flat fence. I don’t think it matters. I’m providing this information in the spirit of thoroughness, not because I believe that it really matters.

UPS Freight canceled delivery a few hours before the scheduled appointment. This was inconvenient because I rented a forklift to help unload and position the machine. Liftgate service was unavailable for this item. I ended up renting a stake bed truck, and I picked up the machine from the freight depot. Lifting the machine off of the pallet was uncomplicated. The machine’s base has a convenient place for lifting straps.

I use this machine for business and pleasure. I’d recommend it to anyone who is interested in a stand alone 16” jointer. It is a large and heavy machine. It is over 99” long, and weighs over 1,600 lbs. I used it to build the 4’x 9’ table below. If anyone has any questions about this machine, please let me know. I’ll be happy to give information based on my experience.
    36EAABC3-0C75-4D4B-81C8-172A5036FC94.jpg 684F3F44-B6DB-437F-9B43-65D537FC4C15.jpg 3112C8E2-B157-40E1-A490-236F492B9239.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the review. Glad to read you were very happy with the purchase and the quality of the machine. After reading of the problems others have had with some of the Euro machines, I think you made a wise choice. Not only is Grizzly the value leader but they get the overall process right a high percentage of the time, too. How is the quality of the manual that came with your machine?

John

John, I think the manual is sufficient. It is spiral bound, and generally informative.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by liam c murphy View Post
    As I recall, the fence was either slightly bowed or hollow by a few thousandths. I’ve never used or owned a jointer with a perfectly flat fence. I don’t think it matters. I’m providing this information in the spirit of thoroughness, not because I believe that it really matters.
    Just for clarification, jointer fence deviations will be problematic if you use the jointer to mill bevels that will mate with other surfaces. Many (if not most) people I see on the forums to not use their jointer for this function just as many of them never use the rabbeting function. Thanks for the review; very informative. I'm glad the machine turned out to be more than expected. I am Grizzly Green with envy
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I’m talking about a .003” to .005” hollow. In practice, it does not effect it’s use.

I would like to have ordered a similar jointer, but settled for a 12", model G0609 with a Byrd cutterhead because of cost. Can't say I am real sorry, it is a great jointer, but once in a while it would be nice to have a wider jointer. Last time I had some wider boards, I just ripped them down the middle and faced them flat, then glued them back together after surfacing them.

I've used some fine jointers but never one that would hold fence at 90 degrees. I just mark a V across the best layout and "joint line to fence " ,then "back to fence" on next board to cancel error.

single phase how many horsepower and Amps. What type of cutterhead, single HSS blades or some kind of inserts?
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    I've used some fine jointers but never one that would hold fence at 90 degrees. I just mark a V across the best layout and "joint line to fence " ,then "back to fence" on next board to cancel error.
    Mel, I also had never used a jointer that would hold it’s fence settings. After the first time my fence moved, I added a Belleville spring lock washer to the fence assembly. It’s been 5 or 6 weeks since I’ve added the washer, and I’ve completed about 4 projects. It still hasn’t moved. Thanks for reminding me of this issue.
    BF00977F-675C-49CD-BCC9-11253EFCEC95.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    single phase how many horsepower and Amps. What type of cutterhead, single HSS blades or some kind of inserts?
    Bill
    Bill, it has a 5HP motor that runs on a 30A circuit. I believe it draws about 25A. The machine has a spiral cutterhead. It has 120 inserts, with 4 sides. They also include a few replacement inserts with the machine.

Be sure to review again in let’s say 5 years. It’s a little bit early for me time is the real test.
    Aj

Agreed, i like to use something for a full year before i say a peep. Things that appeared to be irksome in the beginning fade away, as does the shiny penny syndrome. With that said, thank you for writing the review, because i have actually considered buying this machine used twice now. Once was for $2500, and once for $4000. I probably should have done the $2500 one, but i tried to be cute and sell my 12" grizzly before buying the 16". Anyways, all worked out, because i got a 20" for $3k. As i considered buying the used grizzlies, i had very little user feedback on the forums to go off of. I owned the 12" straight knife 9860 and thought it was a decent machine, but i was interested in the fence design of the 16". The fence drove me nuts on the 12" model. It flexed with a moderate force and lost its 90° setting every month or two. I kept a square on the switch to check it every time. Speaking of which, how much do you need to spend before you get a bullet proof fence? This griggio fence seems ok so far, but it also doesnt instill the most confidence. Why do these things not have a micro adjustment feature? Something about whacking things into perfection with a deadblow hammer seems counterproductive.

Ok I'm not familiar with those big jointers and the picture brings up a question about that round rack gear. Does it get jammed with chips?

I have had mine for 6 years (G9953 straight knife) and a segmented head at our guild for 3 years (5 hp 3 phase). Once they are set up They have been smooth sailing. The only issues I have had is chip extraction and the new one came with a cutterhead brake. The brake is a good feature in a community shop, but the manual brake pad lever just didn't work out. I replaced with a Short Stop electronic brake (another 3 phase perk) and I'm very happy with this machine. I will say the porkchop guard gets in the way with wider boards (much like a toll gate). I have had no issues with chips packing into the round rack.
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by liam c murphy View Post
    I purchased my G9953ZX in late June of 2018, shortly before the US government imposed the tariff.
    FYI there is no tariff on this jointer since it is made in Taiwan.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.