Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust exhaust size? Through the shop wall?

Another good idea.

T

Being in Idaho I wouldn't even consider exhausting outside. Your electric bill will bankrupt you the first winter!
    Build a proper return filter with your DC in a sound insulated closet, return the air to your shop using a sound reducing U type return (square corners, not rounded) ducts. This will allow you to have the DC on in the winter while wearing no heavy winter gear, carry on a conversation without yelling and let you spend much more money on tools than electricity. A win, win, win situation!!

I have a small blower like that going through the wall. I put a 5" to 6" adapter on the blower, and ran 6" through the wall. Making the pipe larger slows down the air, and allows the shavings to drop faster. The pipe terminates in a small trailer. I put a blast gate at the end of the pipe to keep cold air and moisture out of the shop. There is also a 12" dust collection pipe from the larger blower dumping into the same trailer.

I heat with electricity and sealed combustion propane. The make up air is supplied by opening and closing a window at the far end of the shop. The sawdust trailer is on the down wind end of the shop.

I'm in northern New England. In a one person shop, the actual time the blowers run does not make the shop impossible to heat and cool.

I would not bring up building code with anyone. It's a shop. The propane, however, must be sealed combustion. The blower will pull air down an unsealed chimney.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    I would go with 8" pipe for your concrete pour and then run your 5" duct through it.
    Winner, winner chicken dinner