Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lie Nielsen Block or Rabbet plane.

My favorite low angle block plane is the Stanley #65 knuckle joint block plane with a modern blade (I have several of the #65's). But that's just my personal preference. As Derek said earlier, the LV PM-V11 blade holds an edge for a long time.

The LN 60 1/2 is an excellent plane, also, but does not come with the PM-V11 blade, of course.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

There are three block planes in the LN line that I prefer to the rabbet block for usefulness: First, the 60-1/2. Second, the 102. Third, the 140. The 140 can trim tenons and make rabbets. If you must choose just one, the 60-1/2 is just about perfect, but would not be ideal for fitting tenons. A nice wide chisel or a shoulder plane, following good sawing, can do that with practice. My rabbet block doesn't see much use.
    Last edited by Mike Brady; 08-12-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Rob, I have had a LN #103 for about 20 years. This came with a wide mouth. A couple of years ago I decided to do something about it - glue brass shim to the bed ...This did the trick. The mouth is now as I would want it ...

Regards from Perth

Derek
    I’ve used that trick before on an old coffin smoother. It works well.

I was in the shop earlier today and measured the mouth opening of my #102. It’s just shy of 5/64”, about .070”. I guess I’m not as bothered as I was at first, considering what I use it for and that it will still easily take a .001” shaving on white oak. I had a little contest between the 102 and the 60 1/2 with the mouth set very tight and there was really no difference. If I get into some odd grain I suppose the 60 1/2 will win the day.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    My favorite low angle block plane is the Stanley #65 knuckle joint block plane with a modern blade (I have several of the #65's). But that's just my personal preference. As Derek said earlier, the LV PM-V11 blade holds an edge for a long time.

The LN 60 1/2 is an excellent plane, also, but does not come with the PM-V11 blade, of course.

Mike
    do you use the PM-V11 blade in your #65? My #65 and #18 are both candidates for an aftermarket blade but I’m not sure what will fit properly. I considered Hock but I don’t care for the square top.

Exclamation I went to Lie Nielsen 60 1/2

Some months ago I was at similar dilemma: I went to Lie Nielsen 60 1/2.

I brought the question to this forum and kindly I received several answers. I can resume them:

1) Rabbet block plane will cut you
    2) Rabbet block plane cannot be used in a shoot board
    3) Rabbet block plane cannot replace a shoulder plane

I am plenty glad with my LN 60 1/2. Strongly recommended.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    do you use the PM-V11 blade in your #65? My #65 and #18 are both candidates for an aftermarket blade but I’m not sure what will fit properly. I considered Hock but I don’t care for the square top.
    I just went and checked. The #65's have PM-V11 irons. A normal angle one has a LV A2 iron. Would you like a couple of pictures to see how they fit and what they look like installed?

Mike

Here's some pictures. Hope that helps. A #65 is on the left (and top in the second pix). I forget what the one on the right is - maybe an 18? It's a normal angle, not a low angle.

2018-08-12-Block-Planes-001.jpg2018-08-12-Block-Planes-003.jpg2018-08-12-Block-Planes-002.jpg
    Last edited by Mike Henderson; 08-12-2018 at 3:38 PM.
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Those look like a good fit. Looking forward to the next free shipping event. Looks like we have similar taste. Here’s my stable of block planes: #012, #60 1/2, #65, #18

Last edited by Rob Luter; 08-13-2018 at 8:28 AM.

I have the 102, the 60 1/2 & the skew block but mine does not have the nicker. I use it very seldom compared to the other two. I love the 60 1/2 but wish it was available in the bronze rather than the iron body. The LN plane I use the most is the #62 low angle jack. I have the toothed blade for it as well. It is a fabulous tool and worth a look.
    I covered Maine in my business for 25 years. I got to the point where I would not drive the coast road as I had to go through Warren, because if I did I'd leave with something from LN. It was a nice problem to have. If you ever get a chance to go to Maine, schedule a visit to LN.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    I have the 102, the 60 1/2 & the skew block but mine does not have the nicker. I use it very seldom compared to the other two. I love the 60 1/2 but wish it was available in the bronze rather than the iron body. The LN plane I use the most is the #62 low angle jack. I have the toothed blade for it as well. It is a fabulous tool and worth a look.
    I covered Maine in my business for 25 years. I got to the point where I would not drive the coast road as I had to go through Warren, because if I did I'd leave with something from LN. It was a nice problem to have. If you ever get a chance to go to Maine, schedule a visit to LN.
    When I bought my LN rabbet block plane it did not come with nickers. I contacted LN and for a reasonable fee they put nickers on it (one on each side). They would probably add a nicker to your skew block plane.

Mike

Dave, I don't know what your experience is or how large your tool hoard is, but I am a proponent of the Rabbet Block plane. When I got the LN Rabbet Block, I had an old hand me down block plane that worked fine. The Rabbet Block was the first top quality plane I owned. The Rabbet Block became a go to tool for many clean ups. I was not as accurate with my sawing then and used it very often to make things right. I eventually upgraded the old Stanley block plane with a new blade. That made a big improvement. I have also added a LN 103 to the arsenal (super awesome). But the Rabbet Block is a keeper, a regular user and a tool I really appreciate. I think it is a very versatile addition to a early stage kit. FWIW,
    I never have cut myself on the blade, (nor have I done that on my shoulder plane) but I do see how that could happen.

Thanks, Mike. I will check into that.