Thread: Festool CT22 brush replacement?

Festool CT22 brush replacement?

I have a Festool CT22 dust extractor with many hours on it. The motor is getting intermittent. I suspect that the brushes are dying. Has anybody replaced the brushes in your CT22 (or any other Festool vacuum), and can tell me about it?

Jamie,

I replaced the brushes on a CT22 a few years ago. From what I recall is was a pretty simple process and the brushes were not that expensive. Although when my brushes went out it was not intermittent it just stop working. It is definitely something you should be able to do without any issues. I wish I could tell you more about it but I've slept a many nights since the repair.

Bill

There's a video on youtube from a fella in Holland or Germany documenting the process.

Those replies are encouraging.
    Dave, I can't find that video on youtube. Could you find it, and PM me the link?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Those replies are encouraging.
    Dave, I can't find that video on youtube. Could you find it, and PM me the link?

Google “festool vacuum repair” and click the “video” tab and there will be all kinds of good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Google “festool vacuum repair” and click the “video” tab and there will be all kinds of good stuff.
    I'm not seeing anything about replacing the brushes.

Think he eventually finds the brushes in this digging into the guts of his motor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFqCWPDVzNs

Not totally clear exactly what went wrong in his motor (looked like a failed wire joint and something about a bearing needing a shim)
    Taking video of a repair attempt seems like a good idea for reference when putting things back together; not sure what spawned the bandage

good luck!

Matt

Thank you. That should give me enough to replace my brushes.

Did you see watch the second video in that search - the one titled :

"fix broken festool shop vac " ?

Sorry it wasn't titled "how to replace festool vacuum brushes" The guy tears down the entire turbine as I recall and within a minute or two has the brushes exposed. You may consider putting in some sweat equity of your own next time you ask for help.

Then again, you might not when guys like Matthew are willing to come along and do the heavy lifting;and wrap it up all in a nice little bow for you.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 08-12-2018 at 5:11 PM.

Sometimes you just gotta scratch an itch.

David, I expect you’re a fan of LMGTFY?

Matt

New brushes cost me $46 including shipping. Replacement took less than an hour. It wasn't horribly difficult.

I've been trying to think of a way to describe how much use it took to use up the brushes. One way is this: as far as I can figure out, I've filled more than 50 Festool bags, but less than 100. So.. maybe 75 bags to use up a set of brushes.

Here's a pic of the old brush (bottom) and the new one. There's about an inch more brush on the new one.

Thank you to all who helped.
    ct26brush.jpg