Thread: Turned wood sinks

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Jeff, I just recently finished a wooden bathroom sink for a customer. I did a lot of research before even saying I would do it. I found a product at either Lowes or Home Depot that is manufactured by Famowood called Glaze Coat. It is a two part epoxy and is the type of finish you find on some bars and tables. It has a high gloss finish to it but can be flattened out with steel wool or the 3M stuff. I found this video by Carl Jacobson to be very helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3wt13z4lH0

Jeff

I don't really know very much about turning, but working with wood, in a marine environment, I know how to seal it against the elements to the extent possible.
    If I had to do as close to waterproof as possible for a boat application, it would be a thixotropic marine epoxy coating over .5oz S-glass. West systems, or Pro marine make some really nice products. West Marine and Defender have good online websites for these types of products.
    The entire bowl, inside and out, would have to be done. Any holes for drains, or scuppers, would have to be treated also.
    If you plan to do multiple epoxy coatings, make sure you pick a product that supports that method. Not all will, and some require an additional treatment in between coats.

I know that everyone likes to do an entire project themselves, but if you're not that familiar with epoxies, I would definitely either buy enough to experiment and get the technique down, or find a fiberglass repair shop near you to do the work.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I think you would be better off asking this question in the boat building section. If it was me I would use fiberglass and epoxy. Done right the fiberglass will disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I think you would be better off asking this question in the boat building section. If it was me I would use fiberglass and epoxy. Done right the fiberglass will disappear.
    Absolutely! The correct glass will virtually disappear.
    One more advantage is that like stains, gel coats, or top coats, can be clear tints that could really enhance he hue of a piece of wood.
    Most fiberglass boats are built from the outside in. Aircraft are built from the inside out.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    I found this video by Carl Jacobson to be very helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3wt13z4lH0

That video and another I watched showed applying thin CA glue to the bare wood under the drain flange. He did say there was a rubber gasket under the flange but does an application of CA glue waterproof wood enough to protect it from years of water contact around the outside of the gasket? Any experience with this? Seems to me the drain area should have the same treatment as the rest of the bowl.

JKJ