Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Comaru or Tiger wood - where to buy in Illinois, please help!

Definitely a different wood.

Ipe, Cumaru, and Tiger wood are all very popular for decks.

I think Cumaru is prettier than Ipe, and I really like Tiger as well, thus my title for the thread.

Ah - OK. That makes sense now.... But I bet everybody thought the same thing I did... That you were looking for Cumaru aka Tiger wood... And Tiger wood is not Cumaru..

Now it is clear you are actually looking for a good source of Tiger Wood and/or a good source for Cumaru...

Cumaru is almost identical to Ipe when it comes to working with it, how long it'll last, physical properties. It was my original choice for decking because it tends to be a little lighter in color and has streaks that highlight the grain. Tiger wood has a reddish hue to it and lots of blacks that highlight the grain. Unfortunately these woods are dense, Ipe and Cumaru being worse, and have a natural oil so they don't take finishes very well. They look real nice but being outside they turn grey and hide just how nice they look. For a chair you might have better luck. I would try something oil based like Marine Spar varnish. If you can find it I think you'll find tigerwood, being less dense, might take a finish better.

Quote Originally Posted by John C Cox View Post
    Ah - OK. That makes sense now.... But I bet everybody thought the same thing I did... That you were looking for Cumaru aka Tiger wood... And Tiger wood is not Cumaru..

Now it is clear you are actually looking for a good source of Tiger Wood and/or a good source for Cumaru...
    His original post said he was looking for a supplier that stocks “either of these species” so he was pretty clear.

Warning!!!

We used cumaru for our deck since ipe wasn't available at the time. It has held up phenomenally but it has a drawback: a huge amount of seasonal shrinkage. The gaps between the board vary between large and nothing from rainy winter to hot summer. Neither redwood nor ipe moves like this. If you are using it for furniture be very careful with wood movement.

I contacted Johnsons Workbench and they were supposed to email me pricing and availability, still waiting. I can find a couple other projects to keep me occupied while waiting for material if I have to.

Having owned a ski boat with a teak swim platform I am away of the endless battle against greying wood. I am going to avoid varnish if I can. I will try loads of oil a few times a year if needed.

As for materials:
    Ipe is least desired but would use.
    Cumaru is more desirable.
    Tiger is most desirable if I can find it.

Fortunately, I do not believe wood movement will be in an issue with this one. No glue, not complex joints. Basic screw together furniture. This will be somewhat like futon construction without the ability to lay it down as a futon.

Last year I made a vanity using marine grade curly teak and solid teak edging. Sadly I have yet to take a decent photo of it.

Attachment 387447IMG_2547.jpg

Ultimately I ended up with Ipe. I found 5/4 6" wide boards for about $4.80 a linear foot. I could have made the drive to get the other wood but 4 hours driving on a Saturday cured me of that desire.

Thanks for all the help.

Patio bench frame.jpg