Thread: B.S.V.Co

B.S.V.Co

Good morning Neanders,
    Two tools I have here, a spoke pointer and a chain drill both marked B.S.V.Co. In addition the chain drill has CLEVE.O. which I take to mean Cleveland Ohio. But I can't find any info about this outfit.
    You may not have seen a spoke pointer exactly like this one previously, and that is because it has been cracked at some time and two steel collars have been deftly shrunk around it to hold it together.
    Good old days, can't just hop down to the hardware store and buy a new one so ask the blacksmith to repair it please.
    Can any of you guru's put me out of my misery?
    Thanks for your time,
    Geoff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Might check out a company called VLCHEK.....

There was a Hardware Supply Company from the Cleveland, OH area......Geo. Worthington Co. Was THE Biggest in the area for decades. I even have one of their panel saws...

Thanks Steven, I had a look at the VLCHEK site and couldn't find anything, it's tempting to think that the initials might be a member of the Vlchek family.
    A tool seller has a spoke pointer listed and refers to it as "B-something Saw Vise CO."
    Geoff.

Last edited by Rob Paul; 05-18-2018 at 9:26 AM.

Thanks Rob,
    That's a great outcome. Your link above led me to a number of other Ohio companies with Buckeye in their name and found that Ohio is the "Buckeye State", named for the tree Aesculus glabra, Ohio Buckeye.
    Your help gives me a title and date range for what were previously mystery maker tools.
    Cheers,
    Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Paul View Post
    Great job of Sleuthing, Rob.

A bit more info' of interest perhaps. The owner of the B.S.V.Co appears to be John W. Gaede and as far as I can see the company was in operation from 1902 to 1938. Mr Gaede had at least four patents to his name: in 1902 a saw vise, 713423, 1910 a saw set, 964417, in 1917 a plane, 1221436 and in 1939 a saw set 2180899.
    Cheers,
    Geoff.