Thread: EMF reading on a 30w fiber laser

EMF reading on a 30w fiber laser

hi
    was wondering how much radiation there would be coming of my Fiber 30w Chinese laser,
    any one out there with a detector like that,
    also how much ,when lighting up ,to center the work piece, without the burning.
    if not i will get myself one i think
    when i,m lining up my work ,my ear is right next to the laser light. for say 40 sec .5 times a day
    just don't want to end up with brain cancer.
    any one
    regards Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Eilander View Post
    hi
    was wondering how much radiation there would be coming of my Fiber 30w Chinese laser,
    any one out there with a detector like that,
    also how much ,when lighting up ,to center the work piece, without the burning.
    if not i will get myself one i think
    when i,m lining up my work ,my ear is right next to the laser light. for say 40 sec .5 times a day
    just don't want to end up with brain cancer.
    any one
    regards Jerry
    ? Hello Jerry..... hello, if the laser is on, why is your head near it? Are we talking about the red LED or red laser pointer?
    Last edited by Bill George; 05-14-2018 at 11:03 AM.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Blog Entries
    EMF? I'm with Bill..... But you say lining up. My laser isn't pulsing when I'm using LED marking.....

I'll be a ----- get out your tin foil
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Aside from the danger of looking into lasers-- whether the main beam or the red laser, It's just light, not 'radiation' or unseen electric energy such as radio waves... And the laser light is semi-coherent (my term, probably not accurate), meaning the light travels in a straight line and only barely radiates outward until it hits something- like the part you're lining up- and scatters.

So in my mind you're more at risk when the beams are hitting your parts than being close to the beam, so unless your 'self' enters the beam path, I don't see much risk--

As for entering the beam path, I've accidentally passed an arm or hand thru the full-power fiber beam a half dozen times or so, never anywhere near in focus so I've never felt it. No ill effects other than having to re-engrave because of blank spaces -- a C02 laser on the other hand may not be so forgiving...

Hopefully Dave will chime in and clarify
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yes, tinfoil is one means of protection but you can read all about it here > https://greenwavefilters.com/ . Since lasers imported to US need to pass FDA Inspection I would think just keeping your head and eyes out of the beam would be enough.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

how much radiation there would be
    At risk of going into a mind numbing thesis about Radiation I'll try and keep it fairly boring instead.

If you are worried that emitted Radiation is causing you harm simply stay away from the machine when it's running or firing...also stay away from Banannas, they emit radiation due to the decay of Potassium^40...and Kitty litter...due to Thorium^232 and Uranium^238/^235....Zircon gemstones, Fertiliser,Granite,Smoke Detectors etc etc...don't forget sunlight...

In all seriousness, Radiation is a massive subject and not really one that many folks would find useful, in most cases all the horror stories you hear about Radiation are media scare stories like having a cell phone will make your children be born with 5 heads and 3 arms..few have any basis in actual science although they do keep the tinfoil hat wearers amused.

As an aside, I set off the Rad alarms at Aldermaston with kitty litter...I wasn't Mr Popular that day....
    You did what !

you got it ,the red dot , or when you acually can light up the letters or words,
    and yes i do stand away when its doing the burning, and no i don,t look at it either when it is burning,
    was just wondering about the EMF readings, like when you hold a cell phone to your ear,
    sounds like i got nothing to fear, even that there were severall stickers on the laser with warnings about Radiation
    thanks all for the input
    cheers Jerry
    Last edited by Jerry Eilander; 05-15-2018 at 5:12 AM.

Without seeing your laser I can't say for sure, but usually laser radiation stickers refer to the beam. All light is "radiation"- the dangerous "radiation" from a fiber laser is the beam of light coming out blasting bits of metal away. It's not the "break your genes" radiation, it's the "blind you or burn your skin" radiation. Keep your hands out of the work area and get some laser safety glasses and you'll be OK.

It's not the "break your genes" radiation, it's the "blind you or burn your skin" radiation
    Perfect explanation
    You did what !

Thanks Bert
    that clears it up for me,
    regards from "Down under".
    cheers jerry