Thread: What to do with a saw

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

What to do with a saw

I have an 18" Disston crosscut saw I bought at a flea market last summer. I've been restoring it, and am at the point where, once the handle is finished, I will need to sharpen this saw, as it is definitely dull, though the teeth are in good shape otherwise.
    I just converted another saw to rip today, and that went very well. Cuts like butter, cuts straight, and does not mess around doing it, either. Now I need to learn to sharpen crosscut. That's the next step. I have this little Disston, a full sized No. 7, and a Warranted Superior, all in crosscut. I do plan to convert the WS to rip, as soon as I get the wood to make a handle for it.
    I know common wisdom I have read here is that most of the time you want a full size handsaw for rip cuts, and the smaller panel saws are best filed crosscut, the idea being that if you are ripping, the extra length really helps.
    I work outdoors right now, so space to work or wield a saw is not a problem, but I will be erecting a 10'x12' shed in the spring or summer to use as a shop. I plan to put my bench about a third of the way from the back wall, so I can work around it.
    Does anyone use these smaller saws in rip format? What is your experience, or advice?
    Much appreciated.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 03-10-2018 at 10:57 PM. Reason: fixed the title