Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quiet air compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Merrill Herring View Post
    I want to thanks everyone for their input, I think it is down to either the Mac2400 or the Rolair JC 10 plus. It looks like the JC 10 is no longer made. Everyone says get one the is oiled, but the Rolair is not. Which one should I pick.
    Merrill
    I would try both, if at all possible. The MAC2400 is 2.5 HP versus the JC10 at 1HP, so the comparison isn't direct.
    Forget the dB ratings because they can be subjective, and you don't know how they were done. (I have 40 years of electronics background and could bore you to tears talking about dB.) It's real life examples you're looking for.
    The JC10 I have is quiet. You could put it in the middle of the dining room,during dinner, and never have to raise your voice above it. The unloader valve at the end of the compressor cycle is the loudest noise it makes,and letting the air out of a party balloon is louder.
    If you needed continuous air, than oiled is the way to go, but it doesn't seem as if you do. Non oiled is simplified, and there is no splash or internal pump system, so less moving parts.
    I can add air to my trucks tires, 20" tires on a GMC Sierra, but there is no way a JC10 would set the bead. It take a long time though to take one from 10psi, to 36psi. I've pumped up the run flats on my Mini Cooper with it after a repair, so that's 0-38psi on a 205/45-18 tire. I have a 5HP Rolair for this kind of stuff now.
    The Mac2400 is rated at 2.5 hp, and is louder than a JC10, but it's still pretty quiet. I've used the Mac's at work. I think the JC10 is still more portable, but it's also a smaller overall unit.
    Both are nice. no experience with the Cal Airs.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Since you mentioned quiet, be sure to check out their videos demonstrating how quiet the California Air Tools compressor is. Here is a video with the 10020C compared to a typical pancake. They have videos comparing noise from most of their other models.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ciXFWwL0OQ

Here's a picture of the inside of a California Air unit. I've got a lot more pictures but safe to say the things are junk.... in addition to being shredded by the shrapnel of the internals that blew up, the gaskets were discolored and crunchy.... Maybe this is what they mean by "breaking"-in.... this was after maybe 15 uses.... caveat emptor!

IMG_2209.jpg

California Air Tools 10 gallon air compressor one of Home Depot's special buy of the day.

https://www.homedepot.com/SpecialBuy/SpecialBuyOfTheDay

About $100 off.

I will add my .02 cents. I have the RolAir JC-10 and its been nothing but amazing. I believe they only offer the JC-10 Plus now. If you go that route and can wait I would pick it up from Zoro when you have a 25% coupon. They come around a few times a year.

I had the larger CAT, it was very quiet. But I also burned it up in a day; probably running about 50% DC on it spraying paint. I wouldn't buy another one if I intended to use it for air guns/paint or anything that would get it running without a break for more than 5 mins or so. I own a lot of compressors and am very aware of duty cycle on oil less compressors, so I was careful with it, but it just didn't have the build to keep up. Replaced it with a 30 gallon upright (which is not at all a reasonable replacement for most uses of the CAT, but was for me) that is oiled and has run great for years now. In my shop I have a 7.5HP Polar/Eaton, that thing is a beast and runs like a sewing machine, but I suspect you're not looking for 1000 lb compressors if you're looking at CAT.