Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router bit bearing off center

That would be awesome! Like I said I’m just starting out so anything would help! Let me know what you need from me.

So as it turns out... amazon is sending me a new set. I can’t wait to make some sawdust again, but right now we’re dealing with bomb-cyclone-Grayson-snowpocolypse-blizzard-of-inescapable-death in NJ. As soon as the temp starts getting bearable to be in my garage, I have a lot of projects on my list.

My guess is that the bearing has a much larger ID than the OD of the cap screw holding on. I've seen a lot of these types of bits that use a spacer bushing between the bearing and screw. That way they get a one size fits all bearing. and can get a discount on a huge purchase. Maybe one got left out??

I'd pull the screw and have a look.

And let us know what it looks like with the screw out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Vigorito View Post
    So as it turns out... amazon is sending me a new set. I can’t wait to make some sawdust again, but right now we’re dealing with bomb-cyclone-Grayson-snowpocolypse-blizzard-of-inescapable-death in NJ. As soon as the temp starts getting bearable to be in my garage, I have a lot of projects on my list.
    Yes, it's "a bit nippy" outside right now and you folks in our neighboring state got hammered with the snow, too, especially farther south and east. We only got about 2" and aside from some 6" drifts in one part of the driveway, don't have to do much dealing with it. Shop heat is a nice thing to have...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I like Freud and Whiteside bits, but have a few MLCS also. I bought a cove set from them just to have around "in case". One of them the shank the bearing mounted on was too short so the bearing touch the carbide and wouldn't turn. They promptly replaced the bit. The bits of theirs I have used I've been happy with. They're great when you need something larger for one project that would cost $80-$100 from one of the top brands. They have a 1.5" diameter bottom surfacing bit that I used to flatten some slabs on the CNC. I ended up finding some wire from a fence in the slabs and was glad I was using a $17 bit and not a $50 bit. In the end the wire seemed soft enough that it didn't hurt the bit and it stayed sharp as long as I expected it to. They have a 120 degree V groove bit for $28 that I use all the time to route glue lines on panels to look like tongue and groove. The only other place I have found this bit is from Amana at well over twice the cost. I've probably cut close to 3,000 feet of groove with the MLCS and it still as sharp as the day I got it.

I use Vortex and Onsurd bits a lot on my cnc

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    Once you use a Whiteside or other quality bit you will be hard pressed to use a cheapie. Unless you love sanding burn marks and tearout out of profiles !
    Amen brother! I go there first, but if they don't have the profile i want i have used MLCS bits and they are fine, however, I'd never recommend a set of bits. It's like omaha steaks offering you a great deal on a package and it has 3 steaks and a lot of other crap that is cheaper at the local store.

Whiteside is pretty much my go-to choice. I tend to just buy bits as particular projects call for them, but Whiteside offers some sets that you might consider. Early on, after realizing that you get what you pay for, I picked up their 401 basic set. I think you'll find that these are all bits that will actually be of use, as opposed to most of what makes up the cheap "junk sets".

https://www.holbren.com/Whiteside_Machine_401

Well I took the bearing off and one side was covered in metal shavings.

It seems to be lined up and turning easy now. Thanks for the input guys!

Thanks for letting us know about the MLCS QC standards.

One more Comment on the MCLS Router bit set. I just received the replacement set and noticed a huge difference. The original set they sent me must have been a previous return. It had dust all over the bits. The new set came with a gel silica pack and a plastic protective sheet over the bits. The replacement set definitely looks new.