Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Data Line Buried w/Power

That's good advise, Mike...I wasn't thinking about the potential breakage factor during pulling. It does increase initial cost, but over the long haul, not so much...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    That's good advise, Mike...I wasn't thinking about the potential breakage factor during pulling. It does increase initial cost, but over the long haul, not so much...
    Yes, the whole thing is beginning to sound expensive.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Steve Milito View Post
    Yes, the whole thing is beginning to sound expensive.
    One of the hidden costs of trying to save money by moving outside urban areas. People get initially excited by finding a 3000sqft house on 5 acres for $150k or something, and then they realize that EVERYTHING is more expensive to do. When your garage was 10 ft from your house, adding a subpanel was easy. Suddenly, you're now looking at $3000 of wire and conduit to get power to your barn that's 300ft away and new factors are introduced like voltage drop due to distance.

10g over copper can be done, but most enterprise gear is run over fiber or short DAC patches. Lower power consumption and high compatibility between endpoints is the primary driver. Previously when I suggested fiber, I was thinking of just 1G SFP endpoints, not 10G SFP+ gear, which is at least an order of magnitude more expensive. Jim is right, think thousands for entry level stuff. The black poly pipe is a good idea. Cheap and durable.

Can someone be more specific about the conduit?