Thread: 6 mill polyethlene tubing for steam bending

6 mill polyethlene tubing for steam bending

Has any one used the bag method for steaming wood. 6 Mill Polyethylene in long bad form...if so where did you get the 6 Mill material...

Blog Entries
    I don't think polyethylene is suitable for steam bending due to it's low melting point. For common commercial grades of medium- and high-density polyethylene the melting point is typically in the range 120 to 180 °C (248 to 356 °F). The melting point for average, commercial, low-density polyethylene is typically 105 to 115 °C (221 to 239 °F).
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I've never done steam bending or even read about it. So I may be way off base here, But for round tubing I would recommend you research teflon aka ptfe or fep tubing. Teflon at its upper limits is good to 450* or so depending on which manufacturer you ask.

Certain formulations of nylon may work as well but I don't know the temperature range off the top of my head.

Saw this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50uXPPt8-VI quite some time ago. It's about using a plastic bag to seam bend.
    I have used styrofoam to make a box to steam bend wood. Easy to cut and works fine.
    P1030770.JPG
    I use deck screws to put the box together.
    an here is another box I used today
    P1040014.JPG
    Good luck with your project'

Tm
    Last edited by Tim Janssen; 07-30-2017 at 11:21 PM. Reason: added another picture

Jay,

A question can be informative in itself. I have struggled with bending oak for chair posts after removing it from the steam box and before it cooled. It cools quickly. I had never heard of steaming in a bag. So thank you for your question. I googled the subject and found some videos on the technique. Very very interesting. According to the discussion the plastic used in the videos I found is 6 mil polyethylene melted together (Uline.com sells it in tube form). reference:http://www.core77.com/posts/35838/A-Better-Way-to-Steam-Wood-for-Bending-Use-a-Plastic-Bag. Obviously, it has to be thick enough and strong enough at heat to withstand clamp pressure.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Hepler; 07-30-2017 at 10:39 PM.