Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to lower the initial cost of my first garage wood shop.

I made a lot of stuff, including full size cabinets, with a $300 (brand new) tiny dewalt table saw, a bosch router, a cheap circular saw, and a cheap jig saw. Over time I started to upgrade and add to that, but still don't have everything on your list. You don't really need a jointer or planer, unless you are making items that require odd thickness... Just use S4S lumber, it costs a little more than rough, but you'd have to work through alot of lumber to pay for a jointer and planer. Especially if you aren't 100% sure this is for you.

Also, there is more than $1000 in 2 workbenches on that quote! Buy a table saw and some wood and make your own benches! you don't need $300 maple tops, there are plenty of plans on the internet for workbenches, many use MDF and /or hardboard on top, way cheaper (like 10% of the cost of those maples tops). Will work just fine for almost anything you'd use them for...

I have been strongly considering a Dewalt 20" scroll saw.

The move is at the very least 5-8 years off IF I rush pay off my new 30 year mortgage by spending every free dollar on paying it off ASAP. In reality

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I'm going to make an alternative suggestion to you for startup, especially given you will be moving soon...pick a woodworking specialty to get going, such as turning or scrolling since you can stay compact for the moment and get the relaxation and satisfaction you want to help with your personal therapy "now" while saving up a little and also learning more about tools and tool choices between now and when you have the larger space. IMHO, buying quality always trumps price. In fact, long time members here know that I've often said something to the effect, "The most expensive tools are the ones you buy early and often". In other words, quality costs less in the long run, despite a little higher initial cost.

I am hoping the tools would be quality enough to sell with minimal loss IF I did not like the obby as much as I THINK I will.

Again, consider this as an alternative to getting a bunch of stuff for a fixed amount of money that you may not be happy with in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Malakoff View Post
    Edward, maybe you should wait until you move, no reason to pay to have it moved. Moving expenses are high and I'm guessing you have to pay for delivery to your present location.

Rick
    Or start out with a simple table saw and a simple bench... Actually with a decent bench he could buy a Festool track saw and a Festool jig saw. You could move a simple bench and the track saw/jigsaw combo in a Fiat 500 or Mini Cooper....

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Here's an argument for not buying it all at once. What if you buy $4k worth of equipment then find out you don't like batch cutting parts for craft fair shows for $500 a month (don't forget about cost of materials, your time, and time at the craft show)?

If I were you, I'd figure out what you want to make/sell, and only get the tools you need for that. When you decide to make other items, buy those tools.

There's not much money in woodworking, and maxing out 2 credit cards for tools doesn't sound like a good financial investment.

I don't want to discourage you getting into the hobby, but leaping in like this could be a bad move. I strongly suggest you look to buy used to save some money. Even brand new tools need adjusting and setting up (jointer needs tables and cutterhead aligned and fence squared, same as what a good used machine would need). Woodworking is therapudic for many of us, but it wouldn't be for me if I knew I was in CC debt because of it.
    Agree on the debt thing... that is the nice part about buying used...it often forces you to pay Cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Bryan View Post
    I made a lot of stuff, including full size cabinets, with a $300 (brand new) tiny dewalt table saw, a bosch router, a cheap circular saw, and a cheap jig saw. Over time I started to upgrade and add to that, but still don't have everything on your list. You don't really need a jointer or planer, unless you are making items that require odd thickness... Just use S4S lumber, it costs a little more than rough, but you'd have to work through alot of lumber to pay for a jointer and planer. Especially if you aren't 100% sure this is for you.

Also, there is more than $1000 in 2 workbenches on that quote! Buy a table saw and some wood and make your own benches! you don't need $300 maple tops, there are plenty of plans on the internet for workbenches, many use MDF and /or hardboard on top, way cheaper (like 10% of the cost of those maples tops). Will work just fine for almost anything you'd use them for...
    Sounds a lot like what I spent several years doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Henry View Post
    I have been strongly considering a Dewalt 20" scroll saw.

The move is at the very least 5-8 years off IF I rush pay off my new 30 year mortgage by spending every free dollar on paying it off ASAP. In reality
    Scroll saws are an excellent buy on the used market. Mine would have been over $700 new, it was $150 used with $100 worth of blades, several books, and some lumber thrown in.

One of my woodworking friends made a lot of nice things with his...

My main aim worry about used is lack of knowledge on upkeep and repairs I figured with NEW items I would learn what was needed before it really needed repairs.

Router? Just the router or a router plunger combo? Router table?

220v I had planed to try and get cost on running a sub panel for 3-4 220 outlets around the garage but I only have a 100 breaker box in the house so that will need to be upgraded to 200. And get the garage lights on a separate breaker so if I do trip a breaker with the tools I won't be in the dark.

what is VFD? I read about 3 phase tools but no idea what 3 phase and single phase means.
    Variable frequency drive. Google TECO FM 50 and watch some YouTube videos.

One 220 circuit probably would run fine off of your 100 amp panel. It is not like you will be running 5 or 6 machines at once any time soon. Many electricians do side work. Adding one 220 circuit should be fairly simple.

As for router tables, depends on what you want to build once you build some things. Right now I am busy building guitars because a good friend of mine enjoys building them. What you build will change and evolve over time. Start with a variable speed router with both 1/2 and 1/4 inch collets. This will allow you to run a really wide variety of bits.

Very simple home made router table can be built for about $15, should work fine until you figure out what you want.

I want to thank everyone for their patience and helpful information.

I am fighting hard to not go to Grizzly on Monday and at least pick up the Scroll Saw to learn Intarsia LOL.

What about Drill Driver combos and what Battery amp hours should I buy extra as the combos come with small batteries.

Trying to decide on an air compressor and 18 & 23 guage air nailers, a drill/driver set and such as well. I am itching to buy soon and I can get 90% of the stuff I want at Grizzly right now but will max out 2 credit cards. But if It is my best option I will go in Monday and place my order.

for now I have a Dewalt 10" table saw to use and saving for a Grizzly G0715P
    If you already have the DeWalt 10 inch a track saw can be a really nice compliment to that. Getting that and a nice HEPA vac would save you from buying a full dust collection system for awhile.

Pawn shops are full of pancake compressors and air nailers/staplers. Air driven nails and staples do not use much volume of air and a pancake compressor takes up a lot less room than a 30 gal job. Nothing wrong with a larger unit, but it is something that can be added later when your shop layout is planned out and settled and if you decide that you really need more air volume. Save some money for the associated hand tools, power tools and clamps you may need to buy in addition to the stationary equipment. The two-three folks I have known over the years that targeted the summer fair/festival craft good circuit used their miter saws, routers (with patterns), band saws and scroll saws almost exclusively as compared to planers, joiners and table saws.
    David

Edward,
    I'm going to throw my $0.02 out here only because I really haven't seen anyone address it. I understand the hesitancy about buying used tools given you're new to woodworking but the quality and craftsmanship of the older American made tools is outstanding and most can be found in plug and play condition (meaning they don't need any work before you use them) and the price point is almost always going to be cheaper than buying new tools made overseas that generally don't come close to approaching the same level of quality and craftsmanship. Check out the classified ad sections at VintageMachinery.org and owwm.org and even post your own WTB (Want To Buy) ad there explaining your situation. You'll find there are a lot of good woodworkers out there who will be happy to help you out. Good luck!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Edward,
    I'm going to throw my $0.02 out here only because I really haven't seen anyone address it. I understand the hesitancy about buying used tools given you're new to woodworking but the quality and craftsmanship of the older American made tools is outstanding and most can be found in plug and play condition (meaning they don't need any work before you use them) and the price point is almost always going to be cheaper than buying new tools made overseas that generally don't come close to approaching the same level of quality and craftsmanship. Check out the classified ad sections at VintageMachinery.org and owwm.org and even post your own WTB (Want To Buy) ad there explaining your situation. You'll find there are a lot of good woodworkers out there who will be happy to help you out. Good luck!

Mike
    +1 What Mike said. Once you get a nice older machine and get a feel for how these tools were designed and built to last, you won't ever look back. Then as you start to use these classic machines, you'll be hooked! Many of the new "benchtop" machines will then feel like what they are - overpriced and underbuilt.

Don't be discouraged by the higher cost of good new tools - as Mike said, post on this or and any other wood forum explaining what you are looking for, and chances are you'll be surprised at the selection of good used iron, great and small. That's how I built my shop.

Do not buy a oil-less compressor. they are loud and burn out soon. Get an old belt driven one. Do not use PVc to run airlines.
    Most woodworking tools have very little to go wrong. Ball bearings can be replaced easy enough. Unless parts are broken all the adjustment mechanisms last pretty much forever.
    Bill D.

I read through this thread and there is a lot of good advice on here. I would add this - try to find a woodworking school near you, and go take classes. You'll find out what you like doing, and what tools you really need, and you can make pieces for the market. There'll be more experienced and less experienced woodworkers there than you and you'll learn from and with them all (I obviously don't know how much woodworking you've done, but we can all learn more).

Even check with the closest Rockler or Woodcraft store to see if they have any demonstrations on weekends. Google to find a woodworking and / or turning club in your area.

And I would second what some people have suggested - get some tools, maybe a track saw, make your own bench, even if it has a layered plywood top, get any vise for it, some Gramercy Tool hold downs, and start making sawdust. And post a photo of how it's going on here now and again.
    Last edited by Mark Gibney; 05-13-2017 at 12:05 AM. Reason: spelling boo boo

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Manning View Post
    Edward,

Mike
    +1 on buying old woodworking machines. Check out OWWM,org and you'll find a group of guys that are more than willing to help you restore and/or fine tune machines that are frequently higher quality and lower cost than you can buy new. If you're like me, you'll enjoy restoring an old machine as much as you will enjoy using it.