Thread: Kanna Help?

Kanna Help?

Decided to try out some woodies and went with a used kanna. Knowing very little, found one with some nice flourishes on the blade and thought it must be of decent quality (hopefully) for someone to put the time into decorating it.

IMG_0181.jpg

However, the chipbreaker was a little flat and did not wedge properly. I attempted to angle the corners in a little by hammering it but couldn't quite get the steel to fold. Any advice?

IMG_0179.jpg

In the end, crudely sharpened it and stuck some paper between the chip break and bar to try it out. Was able to get some shavings but will need to tune the sole after re-reading Brian's blog. Would be interested in any other info or advice on the kanna as well, thanks!

IMG_0183.jpg

Blog Entries
    Zuye, to put more bend in the ears I will usually lightly clamp the breaker in a vise with the ear sticking up. Don't clamp it hard or you will bend it out of shape. I then use a drift pin and a hammer to bend the ears further. A little is a lot, as they say.

Of course you will have to check the breaker for fit against the blade again after this is complete.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 11-20-2016 at 6:08 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I was always under the assumption that some chip breakers are not meant to be bent at the corners. These are a wedge shaped style when the striking end is thick and made of soft iron. I have only succeeded in deforming the surface of the corners when attempting to hammer them. Instead of hammering, I adjust them onto the blade, by lightly abrading metal from the corners with a diamond stone. I have never read anything on how to deform the corners for more height.

Other than shimming, you might be able to replace the pin with a larger diameter pin. Also don't forget the check the condition of the existing pin: that it is straight, and the underside has not been filed.

Blog Entries
    David makes excellent points, I have one that is more like a clam shell than the usual bent ears and it is a very good idea to see if you can just replace the pin (if it has been filed)

In addition to the above, the chip breaker should contact the pin only in the center, so I have deformed them slightly in the center to accentuate that. I forget if I detail this on my blog, but I think I have?

Ya, seems like the type of chip breaker David is talking about. Went to town at the ears and wasn't able to get any deflection. I am a good mm or 2 off from the pin, it looks like the pin might have been filed, but even then looks little shy of whats needed. Will try shimming for now, where would you get larger pins?

IMG_0206.jpg

Blog Entries
    Probably McMaster Carr or a similar supply house.