Thread: I will go crazy

I will go crazy

I picked up a job off craigslist the other day, drilling 10 holes in a piece of pine. It will be used to hold test tubes of spices and sold at some local craft venue. I will be drilling 500 pieces. I absolutely hate repetition and I'm quite sure I will go crazy. Easy work for $750.00...I think.

You're going to make a jig in order to speed up the process, right?

Hate to say it John, but repetition is the way to get good at a job. I always gave the laziest bloke in the shop the repetitive tasks. If there was a short cut, he would find it. Everyone was a winner. Cheers

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    5000 holes - piece of cake!
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Just make sure enough sharp bits of correct size are on hand.
    Gonna use stacks of stock and bore a bunch at a time?
    Maybe let us know how you go about it.
    Have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    I picked up a job off craigslist the other day, drilling 10 holes in a piece of pine. It will be used to hold test tubes of spices and sold at some local craft venue. I will be drilling 500 pieces. I absolutely hate repetition and I'm quite sure I will go crazy. Easy work for $750.00...I think.
    Do you need a perfect hole top and bottom?

That might require drilling from both sides in which case it's 10,000 holes.

Doesn't sound like easy money to me..................Regards, Rod.

Deep holes and saw off to thickness required.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Pay someone $375 to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    So $750 divided by 500 pieces is (only) $1.50 per unit. I suppose they are providing the material cut to finished size (at least thats what I'm reading into your posting). That's still $0.15 per hole. They will want these holes spaced nice and uniformly and will expect no burrs and chipouts. I bet they want the top side holes relieved with a tad bit of chamfering. They probably expect the parts to be clean and flat, etc. Bottom line - I think you work too cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    So $750 divided by 500 pieces is (only) $1.50 per unit. I suppose they are providing the material cut to finished size (at least thats what I'm reading into your posting). That's still $0.15 per hole. They will want these holes spaced nice and uniformly and will expect no burrs and chipouts. I bet they want the top side holes relieved with a tad bit of chamfering. They probably expect the parts to be clean and flat, etc. Bottom line - I think you work too cheap.
    I didn't set the price I just responded to the add. I'm unemployed and recovering from an injury/surgery so $750 is $750 I didn't have before. If I establish a good relationship with the guy paying me then I can possibly get more work at better pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    You're going to make a jig in order to speed up the process, right?
    Oh hell yes!

I live in Havertown if you need a hand. I'll bring my brace and auger bits

I think you are doing good with the price. I agree $750 is still $750, good luck recovering & stay positive. I think it will go fast with the radio on.
    He who has the most tools wins! ....Not really, okay how about this... He who has the most friends wins, no no, I'll lose that, okay, lets just stick with ...He who has the most tools wins! ha, I can live with that...

Congratulations on getting the job. Don't let the party poopers spoil your excitement.
    I think it is a great win, especially given your situation..