Thread: Rehabbing divider, try square and sliding bevel (rosewood brass and steel) and B.G.I.

Rehabbing divider, try square and sliding bevel (rosewood brass and steel) and B.G.I.

Divider, try Square (stamped I.R.S. in several places), screwdriver (stamped B.G.I. Co. Bridgeport Gun Implement Company? --- bummer about the broken handle, but suspect if unbroken would not have been present --- no other screwdrivers, and there should've been some for the planes) and sliding bevel w/ broken fine thread brass wingnut (also stamped I.R.S. w/ a different pair of initials on the butt).

Cleaned up the rosewood and brass w/ Gojo and then lemon oil --- the two chisels, and sliding bevel bolt are in Evapo-rust now.

9PtmeMTh.jpg

Nice finds; I hope the price reflected the condition.

I never knew the tax people needed try squares and sliding bevels. I guess that's to (a) keep everything straight, and (b) measure precisely what angle the taxpayer is trying to play.

I think I did fairly well price/value-wise --- got the entire chest and (somewhat picked over) contents for $65.

Still working my way through it, but there's a shot of the chest, and details of the two chisels (and three handles) here: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...eather-washers

I think there were three generations of tools / owners --- not sure how I can date the chest itself, but the oldest tools seem to've been post Civil-War--pre World War I, some others look to date during the depression, and a number of them from late '50s/early 60s (including the Diston D-8 saw unfortunately --- still trying to date the Rockwell saw).

I'm thinking the I.R.S. was the second owner's initials --- there's an EL stamped on the bottom of the sliding bevel, which is in an older style and seems original to it. The final owner (before me) was a John H. who (fortunately) didn't mark his tools. Need to de-rust the blade of the try square --- fine sanding block? Would the rosewood be okay submerged in Evapo-rust for a brief bit? I'm leery of doing it, but it sure would be convenient --- at first glance the chisel sockets cleaned up quite nicely.

Debating about the B.G.I. screwdriver --- do I just epoxy the handle or replace it? Any historical value to it? Odd the bit of metal globbed on it (welding incident?) probably going to file that off when I reshape it (need to make a jig for that first).