Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Making new wood look old

yeah sure i can do that. give me a bit to actually take them... will do. the white oak in particular looks really, really good.

--- dz

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn de Souza View Post
    Would you mind posting some photos of the results of the procedures you're describing? I've been meaning to experiment with the steel wool/vinegar technique myself. Thanks!

I recently made a TV cabinet for a client out of white oak that I used the iron acetate (vinegar and steel wool) approach. I sanded the inside of the glued-up panels smooth, but left the planer marks on the outsides. The iron acetate turned the wood a dark blue-black; then I sanded it with 150 grit to lighten up the color but not remove too much of the planer marks. Clear coated with satin poly.

DSC_0085.jpg

Very nice Stuart. It does look aged.

Would white or yellow pine turn out the same with the vinegar / steel wool treatment? Made a pine desk top that I need to finish and like how that looks. Thanks.

Thanks, Mark.

Greg, I don't know - the base color comes from the reaction of the iron acetate with the tannins in the wood. Worth experimenting. I warm a quart of vinegar and pour it over #0000 steel wool in a one quart mason jar. It'll bubble for a day. Ready to use after about a day; I just leave the steel wool soaking in the vinegar for future use. When you brush it on the wood, you see the reaction within minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Kern View Post
    Thanks, Mark.

Greg, I don't know - the base color comes from the reaction of the iron acetate with the tannins in the wood. Worth experimenting. I warm a quart of vinegar and pour it over #0000 steel wool in a one quart mason jar. It'll bubble for a day. Ready to use after about a day; I just leave the steel wool soaking in the vinegar for future use. When you brush it on the wood, you see the reaction within minutes.

Thanks Stuart. Silly question but how do you warm the vinegar?