Thread: Well if your fein turbo 3's motor go's out it is not hard to fix.

Well if your fein turbo 3's motor go's out it is not hard to fix.

I had both of mine die in about 3 weeks. but they are used as a vacuum source for my cnc router so they can run all day long sometimes. I had them for 3 years or so and ran them at least 600 hours maybe more.
    plus they were always under load too.
    but I found granger sells a replacement motor for only about 172.00 shipped and it drops right in. I only had to splice the plug onto the new motor. I was going to order the motor then next day when my other fein died. I was not sure I could get it all working so I had to buy another one. so I order the motor and Granger delivers it the next day and it was easy.
    So now I have three working feins and one that still needs a motor.
    so if anyone needs one this works
    http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg...headSearch.y=4
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Steve, was the OEM motor also a LAMB? Is the noise level, etc., of the new motor same as the old?

I don't think I found any info on the original motor.
    as far as noise right at the vac it was 71 db's I forgot to put in one piece of foam. it seems just the same noise wise in use.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

Also check ebay, there are some sellers of Lamb motors at good prices.

Lee McFarland Guest

Getting to the motor

How did you get the covers off so as to get to the motor?

That motor is made in Mexico. Hope it is a good one. Is there a problem getting a Fein motor? Do you have to mortgage the house for one? Send the vac back to the factory?

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    That motor is made in Mexico. Hope it is a good one. Is there a problem getting a Fein motor? Do you have to mortgage the house for one? Send the vac back to the factory?
    people have used it before. it is a well rated motor. hey I just had to buy two new feins in three weeks I had to sell my oldest child.
    it is easy to take apart take the cone off there are three screws under it remove them and the three screws that are in deep recesses on the same face.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I have a Fein Turbo (I?) model 9.77.25 that I bought in 2003 (I think) that gave up the ghost. In 2003, this was the top-rated shop vacuum in Fine Woodworking. It's been a joy. I contacted the local Fein distributor for a replacement motor, he was having problems finding it, so I offered to send him an email and he could get back to me when he found it. I sent a follow-up email several days later. He never got back to me. This morning, I called Fein USA in Pittsburg at 1-800-441-9878, left a message for the parts department. A man called me back about 15 minutes later and said the motor is no longer available for that model.

So, I took mine apart guided by the golden rule "nothing ventured, nothing gained."

Here are photos of the motor from my unit.
    DSC_2239.jpgDSC_2240.jpgDSC_2241.jpg

The motor had a foam jacket which I removed.

The specifications for the replacement motor at Grainger's is at: https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/AMET...Spec-Sheet.pdf

AMETEK-LAMB have a USA, Germany & Singapore office.

The numbers at the bottom of my motor are:

A 061300384 0513
    115-50/60 918M79A02U
    SERIE93 2B38M115.262

The number at the bottom of my motor, 918M79A02U, is what I used to search with on Google and returns came back with matches for a Turbo III motor.
    Of interest is the listing of various models of the AMETEK LAMB Tangential Discharge Vacuum Motors at Graingers
    John L. Poole

After posting this, I was discussing this with the little wife who wondered what a replacement motor costs versus a new unit. I was describing what I experienced - noise and smoke, and she said "Oh, yes, probably the bearing went out."
    John L. Poole

I'm on my second Fein vac, first one lasted something like 16 years. Was so happy with it I bought another just like it a couple of years ago, still running fine (no pun intended). No production shop, just hobby so it does get run daily but maybe a total of an hour or so each day. Randy

All sorts of Vacuum companies buy their motors from Ametek .. Ametek has offices in Germany, but its a US company with factories in Mexico and all the usual places.

I believe that motor you got from Lamb / Ametek is the OEM for the Fein Vac.

Here is a good example of an Ametek motor;

Vacuum cleaner motor, vacuum turbine
    Original Ametek Lamb

Fits following device models:

AL-CO Alto-No. 47751
    Alto Wap ST 10/20
    Festo / Festool CTL MIDI / CT Mini
    Kärcher 2501 / 2801 / A 2800 / 200 1 / 2501 / NT 200 / NT 221 / NT 301 / NT 351 / NT 27-1
    Nilco S NT 17/18 S / S 32
    Nilfisk-Alto Alto-No. 47751
    Nilfisk-Alto ST 10/20
    Nilfisk-Alto Aero ST
    Protool VCP 30 E
    Stihl SE 50-90
    Stihl SE 60-60 E

Starmix AS 1232
    WAP RA 500 ​​E

That isn't the same motor as the Fein uses, but as you can see, this one fits a whole slew of high end expensive vac's ..
    Last edited by Rick Fisher; 06-25-2016 at 3:59 PM.

John, My Turbo 3 just bit the dust, as well. The images and numbers in your posting are an exact match to my motor. Yet, when I went to the Ametek-Lamb 116763-13 spec sheet on Grainger's site, I noted that the specified model has a plastic vent assembly instead of the metal one in the OEM version. Was that the case when you replaced your motor? If so, did that cause you any problems with the rubber mounting/isolation ring that mates to the vents? Thanks in advance for any information and advice you may have. I am now trying to decide whether to replace the electronics module and motor to make my Turbo 3 whole again or to purchase another vacuum.

Hi Jim,
    Unfortunately the point in time when I undertook this replacement was a major move of 2 houses and this was a quick diversion project. I cannot remember any distinction between the blown motor vs. the replacement one that couldn't be worked out. I think I ended up hiring a motor repair shop to perform the switch since my life was upside down, so I cannot recall any personal experience in the operation. I am using the vac today (still haven't set up my new shop and we're coming to the 2 year mark since we moved) for minor things and I have not noticed any difference in performance. Sorry I cannot be of more help.
    John

P.S. I just tried calling you on your phone after receiving an email several minutes ago asking for follow-up. Made it past your "no solicitation" challenge and then ended up in your voice mail.
    Last edited by John Poole; 04-19-2019 at 9:43 PM.
    John L. Poole

John Poole mentioned his vac was 9.77.25, which of course is the Turbo III. not Turbo I as he thought.

Does anyone know if that Lamb / Ametek 11a motor also fits a Fein Turbo II?

Mine still works but it's making "old man" noises, plus I wouldn't mind a little more suction.
    Last edited by Allan Speers; 04-22-2019 at 9:41 PM.