Thread: Cutting fiberglass rods...

Cutting fiberglass rods...

Don't do it with a good blade!

We were in a hurry to get the paint room drying rack put together so I didn't do any research before cutting 48 fiberglass rods 3/8" thick in half. A few hours later I attempted to cut some soft maple window sills to length. Burn burn burn. Now I'm forced to use a cheap Dewalt blade I've had on the shelf for 3 years that came with my CSMS while it's out for sharpening.

PSA - Use an old blade or a metal chop saw to cut fiberglass rods
    -Lud

Portaband stuck in a bench vise,with small 2x3" "table" tack welded on.Because of relatively low cost (short),metal cutting blades.This what we rough cut fibre glass and certain CF with,quite effectively.

Justin what you want to do is use blue painters tape at the site of the cuts. Wear a mask when cutting. Using a portable bandsaw or hacksaw (you'll want a fine cutting blade) then cut the rods to size.
    By using the tape you'll decrease splintering the rods.

My helper wore a mask, I made him. The Forrest WWII did a great job. Sad thing is, I'd had it back from Carbide Processors for about a month from the last sharpening. I will definitely not use a wood blade next time. And I'll be cutting a lot more, because the system I came up with for the paint room works great using 3/8" rods.

Hacksaw would take too long for as many as we were (and intend) cutting. Thanks for the tips, Bud.
    -Lud

Justin, this is what I use:

47840.gif

They have since changed the saw somewhat. You can find them on sale for around $99.00 or just use a 20% coupon. Works great! I love mine and have used it for a lot of projects from stone to steel to fiberglass.

http://www.harborfreight.com/10-amp-deep-cut-variable-speed-band-saw-kit-62800.html

It is a good way to ruin a bandsaw blade also.

I always found a hacksaw a good option for such work. It takes a bit longer, but my trusty Harbor Freight blades from China are cheap enough, and no sharpening required. I bought a box of 100 in the mid 1980s and I still have a few left. Seems they don't carry them any longer. (BUMMER!!)
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey