Thread: Soft Maple finishing with Tung oil

Soft Maple finishing with Tung oil

SO i am wrapping up a build of ten soft maple tables for a friends restaurant. Id like to use a quality finish for the best results. With all the research ive done ive come to realize soft maple is best done in a natural finish which i am ok with. Ive also come to realize a tung oil system would produce great results.
    Here is my question, with the cost of a quality tung oil system can be on the high end, do i need to finish both sides (top and bottom) of the tables with said tung oil. Or can i use a cheaper sealer for the bottom of the tables.
    Also if anyone has input on tung oil or any alternatives specific to a soft maple finish please feel free to add any other options.

It is hard to imagine tables in a commercial restaurant finished with tung oil. I would imagine some type of poly or conversion varnish for the anti-moisture intrusion and ongoing sanitation purposes would be the mainstream thinking.
    David

I agree with David. Maple is no different than any other wood. You need a durable film finish to take the abuse a table gets in a restaurant setting. Take your pick among the solvent or water borne products targeted at that application.

John

To answer your question, yes you can use a different finish on the top vs. bottom. For example I will just use a couple of shellac coats on the underside of a project since it's cheap and dries fast, then a more time consuming wipe-on poly finish for the top.

I really like soft maple- it's got loads of character and I think you're making the right call going with a natural finish.

As for tung oil, can you be more specific as to what actual product(s) you are considering? Products named "tung oil" range from 100% tung oil to Formby's Tung Oil Finish, which I'm pretty sure is just a wiping varnish containing 0% tung oil.

I tend to agree with David and John about poly (or similar) finish for the tabletops.

Derick,

My first choice would be Waterlox but you need to have the time to let it cure for 30 days +/- before rub out. Waterlox handles wet glass abuse quite well and is easy to recoat later on.

Next is one to two coats of Waterlox to pop the grain, and I like the slight amber tone, followed by three coats minimum of GF Arm-R-Seal.

I used Dalys "Glossthane" recently on a series of inexpensive (stained BB ply) bar tables which are holding up to restaurant/bar abuse quite nicely.

Good luck - Bill