Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What should my objective be?

1. Fun thread - agree with Thomas and others that having a thicker rim and/or base can allow for a nice feel in the hand and can also be a nice addition for the creator because unlocking the inner from the outer curves gives a second design choice. Also it can allow you to use the plane of the rim as a design element - sometimes it is so nice you want to keep more of it around.

The flow of the curves overlaps with actual thickness of the work in our or a buyer's perception. We all know you can make a paper thin piece that still has a "clunkiness" to it - harder but possible to make a thicker piece that feels airy.

As usual it depends, what kind of turning and use if any, small or large, and then again sometimes it is just fun to see how thin you can/dare to get a piece, especially if it translucent, other times you want to just show the wood grain and figure

bowl.jpgupside down.jpgthin.jpggrain.jpg
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Daughtridge View Post
    Over the last few months I have enjoyed seeing many postings of beautiful creations from you fellow turners.

The question I have is to the thickness of any piece I am working on, be it a bowl or a plate of some sorts. Should I strive for the thinnest walls possible? Maybe another way to phrase the question would be to ask is 1/4'' or 3/8'' wall thickness accepted as a good turning? (question relates to dry or seasoned wood only)

Thanks and Happy New Year!
    Jim
    When you design something, a pleasing form is what's important. The thickness is purely incidental. If something is ugly, it's ugly all the way through so making it thin isn't going to suddenly reveal some hidden inner beauty. If necessary, I can turn thin, but it's the form and not thickness that I am attempting to perfect.

POP QUIZ ON THICKNESS: The thickest piece that I have turned has only one side and is uniformly eight inches thick ... tell me what it is.
    Bill

Sphere ..........
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Sphere ..........
    ... a big heavy post oak sphere ... almost bowling ball size.
    Bill

Leo, those bowls remind me of cathedral stained glass . Beautiful things! And I love the way the white light pours thru the one you're wearing!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Leo, those bowls remind me of cathedral stained glass . Beautiful things! And I love the way the white light pours thru the one you're wearing!!!
    Thanks Mel, yes the sun can get easily through the few hairs (also has no color left in it ) that I have left on my head
    Have fun and take care