Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to Cut Vinyl LP Records?

How to Cut Vinyl LP Records?

I have a project for which I'm considering using 10" square "tiles" made from LP records. My thought is to use my junk LPs and pick up more from Goodwill, et al (I only need about a dozen), machine them to size, then attach them to a substrate with mastic.

My question is what is the best way to cut them into 10" square tiles so they have clean edges? My first thought was to use my Festool track saw, but I'm concerned about it melting the vinyl and making a gooey stinky mess (not to mention ruining the blade). I've also considered using a paper cutter, but not sure how it would handle the relatively thick LPs.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

How avout a router and a trim bit. Make a 10" wood/mdf square for the pattern.

It certainly won`t cost much to experiment with different methods.

I`m thinking table saw.

Maybe one of these plexiglass cutters with a straight edge and then a couple quick swipes with a sanding pad?

cutter.jpg

I would try plywood pattern, then score with a utility knife. Might be able to snap off clean from that point and sand the edges as desired.

Some records were made with a metal disc core. Sweep them with a magnet or metal detector first.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Good suggestions. I'll keep you posted on my experiments.

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    I would start with a BS.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I would start with a BS.
    With a fine tooth blade.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

As I remember, vinyl records are brittle, so I would be tempted to try a wet tile saw.

I realize this isn't design you are after, but could you use whole LPs then fill in between with broken pieces of random shape or bandsaw pieces to follow round shape.

When you cut vinyl siding best method I've found is to install the blade on a SCMS backwards, and make the cut. Sounds cookoo, works great. Blade in normal direction, the stuff shatters almost every time when the blade grabs it. Same method may work for records.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I would cut a template and use a router.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Rose View Post
    It certainly won`t cost much to experiment with different methods.

I`m thinking table saw.
    The records are cheap. The Festool and Forrest blades aren't, although I doubt that I'd actually ruin one, but gunking them in is a definite possibility.

I'm going to give my track saw a shot this afternoon and I'll let you know how it turns out. The router idea could work and will probably leave the best edge, but burning/melting could be worse. The bandsaw doesn't leave a clean enough cut (I know, I can always clean it up, but I'd just as soon not have to), but would probably be the cleanest.

Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    As I remember, vinyl records are brittle, so I would be tempted to try a wet tile saw.
    This is probably the best/cleanest way to do it. I don't have one, however, so I'm going to experiment with what I've got.