Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can we revive the Pony Express?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Well,earlier in the thread I said nice things about USPS, now it is different. I got notified that two packages were delivered today...but.....guess what....no packages. Was not my regular postman and who kn o as where they are or if I will see them. It was from Amazon..so they will replace them. Not happy......grrrrr
    Lots of package theft going on these days....

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Moone View Post
    Dunno how lucky you are!

Estimated delivery Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015

✓ Postage info received
    ✓ In transit
    Delivered

Time and date Place Message
    Monday, Dec 7, 2015 6:53 PM LOS ANGELES , CA DEPART USPS SORT FACILITY
    Sunday, Dec 6, 2015 9:42 PM LOS ANGELES , CA PROCESSED THROUGH USPS SORT FACILITY
    Sunday, Dec 6, 2015 9:42 AM ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) ARRIVED AT INTERNATIONAL SERVICE CENTER
    Wednesday, Dec 2, 2015 4:15 AM SPOKANE , WA Departed USPS Facility
    Tuesday, Dec 1, 2015 8:20 PM SPOKANE , WA PROCESSED THROUGH USPS SORT FACILITY
    Tuesday, Dec 1, 2015 7:05 PM SPOKANE , WA ORIGIN ACCEPTANCE
    Tuesday, Dec 1, 2015 2:14 PM SPOKANE , WA PRE-SHIPMENT INFO SENT TO USPS
    Tuesday, Dec 1, 2015 8:32 AM SPOKANE , WA Shipping Label Created
    Tuesday, Dec 1, 2015 12:00 AM

Well it's the late evening of the 14 December... almost the 15th and no sign of it yet!.

Hasn't even made it to this nation yet if you believed the tracking info!

Then it has to go thru customs... and then to a delivery contractor... unlikely to be here before Xmas I reckon - will get buried in Christmas parcel mail this end most likely!

Part was a rubber gas tank fill hose.. for the wifes old toyota camry shopping trolley, all of a whopping US$17.86! Can't buy it in Oz - Toyota don't carry them & a leaking gas tank (if you make the mistake of filling it) is a bit of a safety issue so have to have one (even if it is all the way from USA)!

US$35 postage! yeah twice the cost of the rubber part!

Thats not the bad news.

$17.86 USD 1 $17.86 USD
    Shipping and handling $35.00 USD
    Insurance - not offered ----
    [COLOR=#333333 !important]Total[/COLOR] $52.86 USD
    [COLOR=#333333 !important]Payment[/COLOR] $52.86 USD
    Payment sent to northwestautosalvage@gmail.com
    From amount $75.18 AUD
    To amount $52.86 USD
    Exchange rate: 1 Australian Dollar = 0.703176 US Dollars

Yep = over $75 bucks for a $17 dollar part (worth half a bowl of rice in China where it was probably made)!

But don't sweat it - we signed a free trade agreement with the USA, to encourage bilateral trade!

The fact USPS (and UPS etc) turned that into a defacto trade tariff with "excessive postage rates" should not concern anyone.

So ahh - just how is that $18trillion deficit workin' out for ya'll?

Can't figure why you can't trade your way outta trouble?

Sorry, I have no idea!
    The package should be getting unloaded of the steam ship in Perth any time now. I bet you get it on-time!

Edit - I meant Sydney, Perth would be far too close to you.

Of course Skidknee is where it will go.. then there is the 3000 mile trip across the nation by camel train!

You know I once bought a new custom shop Gibson Guitar from the USA, for my 2nd lads 21st Bday... 3 days tops, via FEDEX!

They sent it from one of the mid west states to Alaska, then to Hong Kong, Singapore & Perth!.

Due to international date lines - it almost got here before it was posted!

BUT UPS go the other way around... and it takes WEEKS!

Gotta make you wonder!

Just had UPS stop in with a package he was supposed to drop off at the post office. He was coming by anyway and gave it directly to me, a day early. I'm not complaining!
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

I routinely get my United parcel packages at 4 o'clock in the afternoon however living in a rural community if the driver sees me parked somewhere in town he puts it in the back of my truck. However USPS has taken over 14 days to deliver a Chuck That was mailed 3 1/2 miles from our house our local post office and rual courier are HUA.
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Is it any wonder that Amazon etc are messing with remote drone delivery's!

My wife was home with our younger child sick yesterday. Waiting for a box of wine being delivered by Fedex that requires in person signature. Since it was warm out, she left the inner door wide open, and a sign on the storm door saying(In big red letters)"FEDEX: Please knock loudly. I am home and available to sign for package. Thank you". Contacted Fedex a couple of times over the course of the afternoon and was told it's out for delivery. Then she checked again at around 6:30, and got "Undeliverable. Recipient not available to sign." We checked and there was no door tag either. So she asked if they could find out from the driver what was going on, and was told that Fedex has no way to contact their drivers to see what the issue is. Since this is a direct from Vinyard in PA that she likes, and she had delivery problems on her last shipment as well, she is going to tell the vinyard that if there isn't a different carrier available they won't be getting anymore orders from her. I'll take the USPS any day over FedUps.

-Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Hubbard View Post
    I'll take the USPS any day over FedUps.

-Bill
    That won't do any good. USPS will just hand it off to FedEx. You do know they deliver for each other, right?
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I wonder what the delivery charges were for the original 10 day coast to coast pony express? They must have burned through a lot of horses and riders in those 10 days.

I have had 1 day USPS service from a college about 100 miles away. I called about 9:00 AM to request a catalog. It was waiting for me that night when I got home around 5:00 PM.

I have also had 6 month delivery time for a post card from Mexico to get to my house. Sometimes things go smoothly and other times strange things happen.

Steve

Estimated delivery Thursday, Dec 10, 2015 - Thursday, Dec 17, 2015

✓ Postage info received
    ✓ In transit
    Delivered

Time and date Place Message
    Monday, Dec 7, 2015 6:53 PM LOS ANGELES , CA Departed USPS Facility
    Sunday, Dec 6, 2015 9:42 PM LOS ANGELES , CA Arrived at USPS Facility
    Sunday, Dec 6, 2015 9:42 AM ISC LOS ANGELES CA (USPS) Arrived at Sort Facility
    Wednesday, Dec 2, 2015 4:15 AM SPOKANE , WA Departed USPS Facility
    Tuesday, Dec 1, 2015 8:20 PM SPOKANE , WA Arrived at USPS Facility
    Tuesday, Dec 1, 2015 7:05 PM SPOKANE , WA Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility
    Tuesday, Dec 1, 2015 8:32 AM SPOKANE , WA Shipping Label Created
    Tuesday, Dec 1, 2015 12:00 AM N/A Pre-Shipment Info Sent to USPS

Well, it's the 17th Dec, and the parcel's a no show!.
    Not even shown as scanned into the darn country yet!

Sure gotta love USPS!

Left LA 10 days ago!

10 days!

It takes what to fly to Oz.. a day at best?

So the other 9 days?

I have had parcels ex USA take over 3 months to arrive.

But don't worry - ya'll will trade outta that $18 Trillion deficit in no time at all!