Thread: Padauk finishing advice

Padauk finishing advice

First time poster in Turners Forum new to turning. I've had a block of Padauk siting on a table for a couple of years. So yesterday it became a bowl, my shop is covered with this nasty red fine dust.

I understand that this wood will darken with time so initially thought to use rattle can lacquer or maybe spray shellac.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Greg

Yes it will change color whether finished or not. Lacquer and shellac are both good finishes. If you use shellac, I would recommend using one of the friction finishes such as Hut Crystal Coat. For spray lacquer I like Deft gloss in the non-rattle can.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    Yes it will change color whether finished or not. Lacquer and shellac are both good finishes. If you use shellac, I would recommend using one of the friction finishes such as Hut Crystal Coat. For spray lacquer I like Deft gloss in the non-rattle can.
    What is friction polish?

Greg

Greg - a friction polish is applied with the turning on the lathe. You rub the carnuba based (wax) solution onto the wood, then turn your lathe on. By applying a little pressure to the turning (using a pad), you create heat and that melts the wax and creates a very nice shine/gloss. Unfortunately, the finish doesn't last long and shows anything to do with moisture - such as fingerprints or rain drops.

There are a number of retailers out there that carry this product - this is just for an example: Hut Crystal Coat
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Steve, it seems like everybody says that the shellac friction finishes like HUT Crystal Coat don't hold up well, but that hasn't been my experience. I have some items that I turned over 12 years ago and finished with that product and it still looks as nice as when I first applied the finish. However, I would not recommend it for pens and wine bottle stoppers or things like handles where there is frequent contact with alcohol, oils, lotions,and sweat. BTW, HUT Crystal Coat is a liquid finish that is primarily shellac with a small amount of dissolved wax -- somewhat like a French polish. There may be other products that have a much greater amount of wax. It sounds like you may be thinking of a solid wax bar that is held against the turning. I don't use the shellac/wax products much any more because of the short shelf life. Also, they have raised the price far beyond what I am willing to pay.
    Last edited by Bill Boehme; 11-07-2015 at 11:24 AM.
    Bill

Bill - glad you've had good experiences with HUT - I have not. Looks great but anytime the piece was handled it left fingerprints. I did have a couple of pieces - back when I was starting out - that managed to get misted on because they were sitting too close to an open window. Any place the water touched left a dull mark on the finish. I have since moved over to using poly and have not revisited using HUT. Maybe now that I have more experience, the end result might be different. Come to think of it, I still have the HUT sitting on the shelf. Wonder if it is still good after 10 years?
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I used to make knifes and used Padauk occasionally for handles. Padauk has a lot of natural resin in it. I never applied any finish. Just sanded it and buffed it a bit. Darkens nicely with use.

I made a bowl once out of Maple, Cherry, Walnut and Padauk and used WOP for the finish. I found that it dried in a couple of hours on everything except the Padauk. I took days to become tack free on it. I guess because of the oil in the wood.

Just sticking my nose in...

Friction polish can be one of a number of things, but they're all intended as a quick and easy finish that is similar to (but not at all the same thing as) a true french polish and (as noted) are applied on the lathe using friction to generate heat. Basic ingredients include a film finish (usually shellac or lacquer) and a lubricant (oil, wax, or both).

I occasionally use Doctor's Woodshop High Build Friction Polish (walnut oil + shellac). It's nice and certainly a quick finish, but I find that it lacks something (in terms of look and feel) in comparison to finishes like poly. On the other hand, I find poly to be pretty nasty stuff (I have to use gloves or my hands break out) and the friction polish is much more pleasant to work with (smells a bit like apples to me). So I tend to save poly finishes for important or very nice pieces. Also, when using friction polish, I do like to do a top coat of wax just to buff to a really nice shine.

As with anything, though, YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    .... Come to think of it, I still have the HUT sitting on the shelf. Wonder if it is still good after 10 years?
    Sure, Steve, go for it.

I don't recall for certain, but forgetfulness could be one of my attributes. I keep discovering these squirreled away unused bottles of HUT Crystal
    Coat showing expiration dates of over a decade ago. It breaks my German-Scotch heart to toss out these perfectly good bottles of finish (if you don't mind a finish that never quite gets hard) so if I can remember where I put them, I will be happy to add them to your inventory.
    Bill

Lacquer works very well on padauk but it turns dark with any finish. Avoid oil or oil containing finishes for sure. This is a very oily wood. The color will run with alcohol and other liquids. Just a hard buffing with a softened out carnuba looks very well also.

Went to my local LV and got Shellwax cream, a wax based friction polish. A little expensive but great results. The wife likes the result so thats my standard. As far as expensive in retrospect a couple of dabs did the job. So many more turning left in the jar.

Thanks for the input.

Greg

I have used BLO on a couple of padauk pieces and really liked the dark red color that resulted. One of the pieces didn't get a top coat, however, and it darkened further with time and continually produced a white efflorescence. The white wipes off easily, but always returns, even after a couple of years. The other piece got a french polish over the BLO and did not darken or produce the white while I had it. I gave that piece away, so don't know how it held up over time.

Shellwax may look good at first but alcohol(toddies) and water will ruin it. Alcohol is the natural solvent for shellac.