Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Video of Burglar Casing My Home with Close Up

Blog Entries
    Right, but If should see someone entering my property and trying to steal something, I think the sight of me approaching with a 12 gauge pump will make them think twice and run the other way.
    Maybe a cherry bomb or an M-80 released in their general vicinity would give them underwear issues making it easier for the police dogs to find them.

In all such situations, make sure to tell the authorities you were afraid for your life and the lives of your family.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    All gun owners aren't idiots, some of us are trained and actually know how to use them.If you aren't trained and don't know how to use them then stay away
    Bert, I'm a retired Marine and I know how to use guns. However, in these types of situations, where the intruder never enters the house, if you use your gun, you'll be going to jail most likely. BTW, my fists are generally a pretty good deterrent and I'm not afraid to use them

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    It's not like we're going to run out guns blazing and yelling "Kill 'em all and let God sort them out"!

IMHO - it's more along the lines of, the J.S. Mill, "A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions
    of better men than himself."

J.S.Mill also said, "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing."

(A similar quote is often attributed to Edmund Burke - but - no one can seem to find the source for that...)
    I'm willing to fight for my family, but I'm not willing to fight for the pressure washer in my carport. Call me crazy, but the risk/reward isn't there for me on a pressure washer. I'd rather file the insurance claim and have the police handle it.

Kent THANK YOU for your service, as you can see by my avatar I too am a Marine, but I have health issues so my fist fighting days are pretty much over. I live in AZ and shooting someone outside for reasons other then fear for your life or a family members life might depending on the circumstances get you in hot water, but shooting an intruder in your home, no problem. Also my AZ ccw is valid in 35 states as I travel some I constantly check each states rules as they change pretty often some times. Still have figured why they change them seemingly at random but they do. But mostly just have to watch out for NY and IL, their pretty hard on gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Bert, I'm a retired Marine and I know how to use guns. However, in these types of situations, where the intruder never enters the house, if you use your gun, you'll be going to jail most likely. BTW, my fists are generally a pretty good deterrent and I'm not afraid to use them
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

It's a question everyone has to answer for themselves with valid reasoning for whatever the answer is to each of us. But I will say that the "it's only property" mantra is IN FACT hogwash in some cases. If a lowlife is willing to take a tool that I need to complete a job in the morning so I can buy groceries to eat the next evening and gas to look for more work, he is IN FACT affecting my survival, he is IN FACT putting my life at risk. For this reason, if he chooses to do that I own him and what I do with him is my business. Not everyone has emergency savings and there are plenty that live from check to check these days and are in precarious situations and that's just a fact. I've been there myself and it's not a good place to be. Police reports do those folks nothing. So yes, property even with little perceived monetary value can in some cases mean survival to it's owner. It's not just a simple across the board issue that applies to everyone equally.

O/P you were definitely without doubt targeted and it looked like to me that he went straight to the camera.
    Last edited by Scott Hearn; 09-12-2015 at 1:45 PM.

Many of the comments here make think people live in Tombstone AZ, circa 1881. Some here sound like they are itching for trouble to come their way. In my opinion, using a gun outside the home is something that should be reserved for police only. Inside the home you better call 911 than purposely try for a confrontation. A stranger inside your home is not necessarily a justifiable reason for homicide.

Pat You're dead wrong and. And I do mean the Pun
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Many of the comments here make think people live in Tombstone AZ, circa 1881. Some here sound like they are itching for trouble to come their way. In my opinion, using a gun outside the home is something that should be reserved for police only. Inside the home you better call 911 than purposely try for a confrontation. A stranger inside your home is not necessarily a justifiable reason for homicide.
    yeah.. a stranger in your home is only there for a spot of tea...

Let's get back on topic about Kent's issue guys. We've strayed away from his issue into some hypotheticals that usually don't end well on the forum.

Kent, any update or news to report?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Let's get back on topic about Kent's issue guys. We've strayed away from his issue into some hypotheticals that usually don't end well on the forum.

Kent, any update or news to report?

I understand , but I also understand what it is like to have someone try to break into my home. When the Police are 15 minutes away, the homeowner is on their own. They can't just hide in their Bedroom , waiting for the Police to come and save them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    Complete nonsense. If ever there was a perfectly natural evolution of a thread, this is it.

Hi Scott. I made the local news, hooked up 1500 watts of motion detectors in my carport, moved the dogs crate to the door and have seen nothing sense. I still never received a call back on my report to the police.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    Complete nonsense. If ever there was a perfectly natural evolution of a thread, this is it.
    In your opinion, it's complete nonsense. Gun control related threads aren't permitted here and there are several people that would like to drive this thread into a gun rights thread, which would mean it would be locked or heavily moderated. It was my intention to try and steer the thread back to the original poster rather than have it turn into a gun thread, which isn't permitted and would cause the thread to vanish or have a lot of posts vanish.

It was my goal to keep the thread going and get people back on topic. If some want to discuss gun rights and who/what/where/when you can use a firearm, this isn't the right forum for that.

It might be the natural progression of the thread, but it's also something that isn't allowed here, so we either get back on topic, or we post things that get moderated and then some people get bent out of shape for being moderated. It was a polite way to try and keep that from happening. Sorry you didn't see it as that.
    Last edited by Scott Shepherd; 09-15-2015 at 8:54 AM.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

The "evolution" of threads is what typically ends up being 1 of 2 things:
    1. The thread grows and gains some really good info.
    2. The thread grows and requires heavy moderation to try and keep it "on topic" as well as civil or the thread gets pulled to prevent further downhill sliding.

Each OP starts their thread with very good intent, it's just difficult for every reader to interpret other posts in the attitude as they were intended. We all have thoughts and opinions on every topic, but some require moderating and others require a good belly-laugh.

This thread did not start as a "gun" thread....it simply started with a video of someone casing out the outside of the OP's home. Let's do keep this on topic.....Please.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis I tried to start a thread on the appropriate use of guns and it got pulled maybe you and sheriff give us a list of what can't be discussed we already know in great length we can't say yellow submarine
    Thanks John
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway!