Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plywood coasters

Jay Selway where do you get the Osmo at I tried looking that up but not finding any thing except for playground
    STILL A NEWBY LEARNING MY WAY
    Junior Hall
    Boss laser
    engravelab 9v

Thank you for all the tips!
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Quote Originally Posted by Junior hall View Post
    Jay Selway where do you get the Osmo at I tried looking that up but not finding any thing except for playground
    Amazon carries it. Osmo PolyX. It's not cheap, but the ease of use and quality finish makes up for the expense in time saved.
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Winter View Post
    Thank you for all the tips!
    No problem. If you need any leads on suppliers for coaster making, let me know. Shoot me an email through my site,. I've got good hook ups on plywood, cork, finish, etc. Happy to help.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 07-14-2015 at 4:06 PM. Reason: deleted link to site
    Epilog Helix 24 - 50w
    Kern HSE 50x100 - 400w (rated at 479w!)

Coasters can also be used for hot drinks like coffee and tea, not just cold drinks with condensation.

I make them quite often for a pub up the street, the customers take them with them. I don't seal at all as they end up being a single use item and it works out well as payment for burgers and beers.
    TurnKey C900 60 watt, Coreldraw X4, PhotoGrav, Boxit, Wacom intuos5, Full wood working shop, Metal lathe.

Plywood coasters are a lot of fun to make and are pretty hardy with cork.

icehouse.jpg

Found these at Walmart. 4 for a buck. Had to remove autofocus pen to get over lip. Says made in USA but they're kinda crappy. One blob of hot glue to hold cork which leaves a bump...
    Had to turn off air assist to keep from blowing 'em off the table... Probably won't last long but for a giveaway they're alright.
    Boss 1416 60W
    Retired Navy Corpsman

Great looking work Matt! Is that adhesive cork you cut and engraved and then stuck to plywood coasters you made?
    Last edited by Keith Winter; 07-16-2015 at 9:44 PM.
    Trotec Speedy 400 120w, Trotec Speedy 300 80w
    Thunderlaser Mars-130 with EFR 130w tube
    Signature Rotary Engravers (2)
    Epson F6070 Large Format Printer, Geo Knight Air Heat Presses (2)

Thanks. I use spray adhesive.

Keith,

I've made veneer core plywood coasters on and off for the past five years, usually sealing them with General Finishes Armor-All. That's not quick to dry, but a soaking coat will dry in about three days with only minor lingering odor, and some of my original coasters that get daily use with a beer mug :-) are still going strong. Haven't tried Osmo since it's not locally available, but intend to order some for experimentation.

One coaster design I know works is posted in the Epilog Sample club-- my originals were made from 5mm maple-birch ply from the local Lowes. Another thing you could use if you have a vacuum pump/chamber is Cactus Juice stabilizer from TurnTex-- pen turners like the stuff-- once you've done the bake you have a totally sealed resin-filled coaster that should remain impervious to most anything for a very long time. Whole process takes less than three hours for a batch. The cured resin, at least on maple, really doesn't affect the quality of the engraving.

When the Lowes plywood was eventually discontinued by their clueless marketing weasels I found another brand at a speciality wood supplier, glue however not laser-friendly (just melted). So, if I need coasters now I'll cut them out on my CNC, use the outline via .eps transfer to Coreldraw to laser-cut a cardboard template to hold a set or sets, then do any necessary engraving.

duncan
    Old gray geezer/woodworker/hiker/canoeist...
    40 watt Epilog Mini-18 in a solar-powered shop...
    Corel X5, X6, GS 2017, GS 2019; BoxIt, FlexIt; Photoshop CS6, 1-Touch Photolaser
    Stinger I CNC, VCarve Pro