Thread: Saw Till

Saw Till

I decided to make this saw till after tripping on my saws for the hundredth time in my spare room. It's made from hard maple, mahogany, redwood, red oak, and some scrap plywood. There is a magnetic bar inside the wood strips holding the saw blades to keep them in place. The dovetails were kind of stupid in hindsight... the long grain of the maple is not very strong and split in a few places. I snuck a few angled screws in to reinforce it.

Nice, simple design. The contrast between the wood works really well. Do the handles of the Japanese saws rest on a cleat?

Oh, and regarding the dovetails splitting the maple: Are the half pins--or maybe all of the pins--on the face too small? Are the dovetails holding up any better at the top?

Thanks. Just trying to absorb some design ideas.

Blog Entries
    Nice till. On a side note, I love my cleat wall. It makes additions and changes so easy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Looks like a fun project Allen,I don't usually see dovetails cross cut could be a weak point there.Anyways mable I'm not seeing the whole picture.
    Thanks for your comments on my posts.Andrew

Well done, Allen. Wish I had enough saws to need a till...someday. Really like the plane till also.
    Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dima View Post
    Oh, and regarding the dovetails splitting the maple: Are the half pins--or maybe all of the pins--on the face too small? Are the dovetails holding up any better at the top?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Looks like a fun project Allen,I don't usually see dovetails cross cut could be a weak point there.Anyways mable I'm not seeing the whole picture.
    Oi, I just saw the grain direction thanks to Andrew. Please excuse me while I n00b up the joint.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Dima View Post
    Nice, simple design. The contrast between the wood works really well. Do the handles of the Japanese saws rest on a cleat?

Thanks. Just trying to absorb some design ideas.
    Thanks. All the pins split out on the lower piece, so it's pretty much just a screwed butt joint now disguised as dovetails . I should have done just a single tail up high, leaving a large maple portion at the edge to prevent splitting out. Or a mortise and tenon or something. But oh well, it works for shop furniture.

There is a small shelf screwed into each side of the base for the saws that can't hook to the horizontal board.
    Last edited by Allen Jordan; 07-08-2015 at 3:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Nice till. On a side note, I love my cleat wall. It makes additions and changes so easy.
    I really love the french cleats for tool storage. So flexible. I have many more tool holders to make. It's been put on hold as I remodel my garage, just finished blowing in insulation over the weekend.