Thread: Mulberry Vases

Mulberry Vases

Here are two vases made from a Mulberry tree that my brother had cut down. The first two photos show one that is 7 inches tall by 3 inches wide the third photo shows one that is 5.5 inches tall by 4 inches wide. Finished with walnut oil.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. Will they retain the bright color or like so many woods slowly turn to shades of brown as they age.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    Very nice. Will they retain the bright color or like so many woods slowly turn to shades of brown as they age.

Pretty sure they will turn a reddish brown over time. Not sure about the sapwood though.

They look very nice. What tools/techniques did you hollow out the insides?
    Laser Engraver: Epilog Legend 24TT 35-watt
    Lathe: Delta X5 46-746 - 3HP/220v, 16"x42"

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Wright View Post
    They look very nice. What tools/techniques did you hollow out the insides?

Thanks Allan, I usually just drill out the center and then use a bowl gouge to remove the rest, cutting from the center toward the outside. 7 or 8 inches is about the deepest I can go using this technique though.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Bouder View Post
    Thanks Allan, I usually just drill out the center and then use a bowl gouge to remove the rest, cutting from the center toward the outside. 7 or 8 inches is about the deepest I can go using this technique though.
    They're end grain so scraping cut with the gouge I assume?

The grain reminds me of ash. How does it compare for density?

Beautiful vases. Love the wood.

Red
    RED

Quote Originally Posted by Allan Wright View Post
    They're end grain so scraping cut with the gouge I assume?
    Yes, but I turn the flute slightly upward to get more of a cutting action. On the smaller one which has a mouth wider than the bottom, I used a finish cut the full length using the left wing of the gouge. It makes a pretty smooth cut.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tibbetts View Post
    The grain reminds me of ash. How does it compare for density?
    Not sure but I assume that mulberry is more dense, it is closely related to osage orange.

Quote Originally Posted by Toby Bouder View Post
    Yes, but I turn the flute slightly upward to get more of a cutting action. On the smaller one which has a mouth wider than the bottom, I used a finish cut the full length using the left wing of the gouge. It makes a pretty smooth cut.
    Thanks I'll give tilting the gouge up a try. Sort of a shear scrape. Great idea.

Mulberry turns a mature brown over time. It has the feel of a dense wood, but is much lighter than you'd think. The mulberry I've messed with turned okay. I had quite a bit of tearout at first, but I was also a newbie turner at the time and was still working on my technique. The really dry wood I've turned did much better and turned easy.