Thread: Level spoil board

Level spoil board

What is the best way to level the spoil board?

Make a pocketing tool path with the biggest diameter flat bottom tool you have of the entire work envelope. Make the toolpath go down about .01" and repeat the process until the entire board is surfaced.
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

I chuck up a dial indicator in my spindle (usually shortly after tramming) and find the lowest spot on the table. Then zero out at that spot and then do as above - Pocket toolpath.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Thanks for your help, worked out really well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Heidrick View Post
    I chuck up a dial indicator in my spindle (usually shortly after tramming) and find the lowest spot on the table. Then zero out at that spot and then do as above - Pocket toolpath.
    that takes time. mdf is cheap I just zero and run a pro programmed tollbooth for it. I make the rectangle for it larger then the table to get the corners well. I also have it do the parameter first s o I can see if the cut is deep enough.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I use a 4" diameter flycutter and a preprogrammed zig-zag toolpath that overlaps by 2". I take off at least 0.015" per cut. After a couple weeks of cutting nested sheets of plywood, you get some pretty deep grooves.
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain