Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there a state of the art Stud Finder?

by far the most reliable I have ever used.

http://www.amazon.com/CH-Hanson-0304...ds=stud+finder

Great - thanks for all the replies. I do have a magnet one and an icepick but sounds like the Franklin will be just right. Watched a couple of videos and along with your recommendations I'm sold. If I had $669.99 to spend the Bosch D- Text Wall Scanner would be the way to go as it will tell you if you are scanning, studs, PVC pipes, duct work and/or live wires. Now that's a stud finder? According to Greg B in the post above - not so much.
    Last edited by Sam Murdoch; 02-06-2015 at 9:01 AM.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I have an older house (late 1800's), and I have never found any brand of sensor that works reliably with plaster on lath. I get both false positives and false negatives from all of them.

Have a Zircon. Not fool proof, but my 16 oz. Estwing sure is. A bit of joint fill covers the holes after the fact. Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Baumgartner View Post
    I have an older house (late 1800's), and I have never found any brand of sensor that works reliably with plaster on lath. I get both false positives and false negatives from all of them.
    Ditto. OUr houses have all been 20's bungalows - lath & plaster. I don't even use a stud finder anymore - an exercise in futility. Take my best guess - drill a hole. Flip a coin to decide L or R, then start a line of holes 1" OC. Always works, and for what I have ben doing, the holes are hidden behind shelves/cabinets.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I use the Zircon but I also use the "tap and listen" method. I've gotten pretty good at finding studs without any mechanical devices and then I use the Zircon to try to determine the edges of the stud.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    That's the one at Costco. The price a few months ago was about $10 less than I saw in an ad in one of the many magazines I get.
    The Costco version is supposedly identical except it is blue instead of yellow. I saw somewhere that Franklin confirms the functionality of both units to be identical. It is my favorite stud sensor by a long shot, although I don't have any other really good ones to compare it against.

Steve

My yellow Zircon false-positives at least 50% of the time. It finds the stud and then "keeps indicating there's a stud" as I continue to run it across the wall, even though I know it's clear behind the drywall. And this is new construction. I hate it but not enough to buy something else. Tap and knock works for me too.

Erik Loza
    Minimax

Ditto on the Franklin !

Blog Entries
    I have piece of junk electronic stud finder that goes crazy around electric wires, That makes it useless. The old magnetic plastic stud finder is the one I use.

The only thing I have ever found that works with any consistency is a hammer and a 6 penny nail. Works every time!
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

Looking for nails in baseboard works sometimes too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Looking for nails in baseboard works sometimes too.
    Yup - that's a good one too "sometimes"
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I just read the FAQ section on the Franklin site, and they clearly state that it does not work reliably on Lath and Plaster walls. As far as I know, all of them are questionable on L&P. I am gonna get the one at Costco.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.