Quote Originally Posted by Jim Rimmer View Post
I made a "decent" sized blanket chest but don't remember exact size right now. Solid cherry top only reguired 2 hinges per Rockler's calculator. I would guess the lid was in the nieghborhood of 2'x3'.
When I initially replied the sample lid I entered into the calculator came up with a combination of hinges for the single lid (more than a pair). Trying it just now the instant you take a 24" lid much beyond 20 pounds it fails and says torsion hinges not recommended. Below that it gives combination options but all for two hinges only which makes sense.

I was referring to something like a large blanket chest which may have an applied moulding and battens. The slab alone may weigh 16-20 lbs in oak for instance, plus battens, and a trivial amount for hardware. A 24" x 40" 4/4 oak lid is likely going to be around 20 lbs.

Two hinges at 60 bucks isnt bad at all but when it came up with 4 thats seemed to be getting a bit pricey though it doesnt look to be an option.

Whats odd is it doesnt call out a length measure in the calculator but I supposed the lid weight accounts for that.