Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dust collection for the beginner's garage 'shop'

So: HF/Thein/Wynn or Mini-Gorilla?

So, slightly hijacking the discussion . . .

Given my shop is in an attached garage, and I have no way to vent outside without opening the garage door, which would be pointless and makes the filter/vent debate irrelevant . . .

I am collecting from a 3hp cabinet saw, router table, 8" jointer, 14" band saw, portable planer, portable oscillating spindle/belt sander, all of which are mobile. I do not have a 220 option for DC.

So, is the BEST DC (not cheapest, but the best) the Harbor Freight 2HP with a Thein Baffle and Wynn Cartridge Filter or the Oneida Mini-Gorilla - HEPA?
    Last edited by Danny Thompson; 01-23-2013 at 10:46 PM.

I was very interested in buying a mini gorilla for my small shop. When I talked to Oneida they told me that the mini gorilla did not have enough vacuum pressure to overcome the static pressure of a duct system or connect to the 2 1/2 inch port on my Dewalt TS or the long hose of my Festool tracksaw. They suggested going to a smaller dust cobra or a larger V series. Does anyone have any experience using the mini gorilla the way I had wanted?

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    +1. Amps are half with 220 vs 110 for the same dual voltage motor, check the nameplate. As Phil noted, we think you meant wattage is the same.
    Yes, the amps are halved for each leg. For example, a 15amp 120 motor draws 18 amps on one leg. Same motor will draw 9 amps on each leg when wired for 220V. End result, 18 amps of your total available amperage, same as the 110v system.

Here is another electrical engineer that agrees with Phil, Ole and Jim.

Blog Entries
    Mike, welcome to the Creek. You will find plenty of divergent opinions here especially with regards to dust collection. As this thread is almost 2 years old, you might have been better served by starting a new thread. Sorry I can't answer your question as I have the 2 hp Super Gorilla with a full duct system.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Mike, welcome to the Creek. You will find plenty of divergent opinions here especially with regards to dust collection. As this thread is almost 2 years old, you might have been better served by starting a new thread. Sorry I can't answer your question as I have the 2 hp Super Gorilla with a full duct system.
    Hard to keep track of posts with this new forum lay out. Not being arranged chronologically sucks.

I wasn't really answering your post, I was adding to the post you answered to. Regardless, I did not open this thread again, someone else did. I do not have a question to ask, hence, I did not start anew thread. Thanks for welcoming me, even though I have been a member for over a year and have made more than a couple of posts.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chalmers View Post
    Hard to keep track of posts with this new forum lay out. Not being arranged chronologically sucks.

I wasn't really answering your post, I was adding to the post you answered to. Regardless, I did not open this thread again, someone else did. I do not have a question to ask, hence, I did not start anew thread. Thanks for welcoming me, even though I have been a member for over a year and have made more than a couple of posts.
    Sorry Mike, my bad, that should have been: MARK (post #32) welcome to the Creek!

On my pages, the posts are arranged chronologically. Are you sure you didn't change a setting?
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-29-2014 at 8:40 AM.
    NOW you tell me...

Blog Entries
    At the top of the page, click on display & select 'Linear Mode'. That seems to put things chronologically. I don't even know what someone was thinking with those other modes.