Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trim Router Recommendation

Like others I have both the DeWalt and the Bosch Colt. Since I bought the DeWalt I have never used the Colt. The DeWalt has many more useful features that make it much more user friendly.

I too have the DeWalt 611 with both bases. I love this tool/toy and may get another. Sold my Bosch because after buying the 611 I never used it. I don't think the PC has the lights.

Another happy DeWalt 611 camper checking in.....
    Check for sales on the combo kit.
    I got a screaming deal on mine back in May - $129 for the two base kit.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

+1 DeWalt 611 kit. Had the Colt and didn't like it. Too difficult to change settings (might be my ignorance) but true for me nonetheless. I have had the DeWalt for about 3 years and really like the way it handles.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by pat warner View Post
    Ridgid r2401
    I started out getting the Ridgid when I was looking for a small router, had 3 different ones and they all had the same problem, they were HOT running.
    After a few short min. of running they were so hot I could not hold them with an un-gloved hand.

Took the first one back and the guy fired it up and let it run and then said damn that thing is hot, must be a bad one. Got a new one the same thing and on the third one I just gave up and got my money back.

I have both the Colt and the 611. The height adjustment is the key difference, and it is really a night and day difference. The Colt is difficult to adjust consistently, but the 611 is smooth and easy.

I picked up a used Ryobi a few years back that has actually been great. Terrible height adjustment, but comfortable enough and a motor thats plenty strong. i was prepared for it to be pretty crappy, but it's surprised me. I assume its significantly cheaper than its dewalt/bosch counterparts, so maybe worth looking at.
    Melad StudioWorks
    North Brookfield, MA

I have the Rigid R2401 trim router. I like it just fine for light applications--small radius roundovers and flush cutting. The motor is strong but not too torque-y, and it fits comfortably in your hand. As mentioned, the spindle lock mechanism isn't the greatest, so the the two wrenches provided are needed to loosen/tighten the collet. Also, the on/off switch can't easily be reached with the same hand that's holding the unit. I don't know if that's intentional or not, but when I'm finished making a cut I don't like the idea of having to wave a spinning blade in the air while I'm fumbling for the off switch.

+1 on the Ridgid for the same reasons mentioned previous;y. I do not use it commercially so I cannot comment on that requirement. It does have a lifetime warranty.

+1 for the DeWalt. I have 3 Routers, including the big Porter Cable 7518 dedicated to my router table. That leaves me with two handhelds. I've got the Sears Professional 2 1/2hp kit, and then the DeWalt which I also bought in kit form. I could not be happier.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

Actually, I find the on/off switch on the Ridgid to be very convenient and safe. It's on top of the unit and recessed so it cannot accidentally be turned on. You have to pull it up to turn it on. When you are done with the cut you just lay your free hand on top of the machine to shut it off. Simple and safe, IMO.

John

I have a new rigid and a colt, pretty happy with both. Looked at the PC/dewalt versions....the mini router is a little too large in the hand to call a trim router, and their laminate trimmers pretty much suck. The rigid is closer to a laminate trimmer with a bit more reach. I've not had the problem with the colt shaft lock stripping, and it's real comfortable in the hand. I do like the lights on the dewalt/PC offerings, the rigid has a light too. So if it's truly a trim router you need I'd take a close look at the rigid, if you can deal with a bit more size and want it there are more options. I used a makita for a while and found it had too small a base for its height wich made it top heavy as delivered.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I started out getting the Ridgid when I was looking for a small router, had 3 different ones and they all had the same problem, they were HOT running.
    After a few short min. of running they were so hot I could not hold them with an un-gloved hand.

Took the first one back and the guy fired it up and let it run and then said damn that thing is hot, must be a bad one. Got a new one the same thing and on the third one I just gave up and got my money back.
    Bill,

Are you talking about the older model R2400 or the newer r2401? My R2400 got really hot. The R2401 does not.
    Cary

I have the Colt and also picked up the 611 when it was on sale at Amazon for $129

Regarding the problem with the spindle lock on the Colt - I called Bosch about it and they sent me the wrench for free, so I am happy with it

I too have the Ridgid R2401, its a very nice palm router and mine does not get hot at all. Rounded over a cutting block recently with several small passes and there was no noticeable heat at all. I love the work light, and the additional edge guide is nice as well. I found mine in like new shape on ebay for $50 and have been very happy so far.