Thread: Help needed with jet 1642

Blog Entries

Help needed with jet 1642

I was turning this morning when all of a sudden the lathe just slowed down and stopped.
    checked the power and it was ok so looked at the inverter on the back and pushed the reset then went around and turned on the switch and it fired back up. A few minutes later it did the same thing so I took the air hose and blew it out hit the reset again and it took off however it didn't last long until it kicked out again it did this all afternoon.
    Does anyone have any ideas as to what to look for or is this a problem that will require jet to get involved?
    wrong time on the year to have problems now.
    Thanks Mike

Don't have a Jet but have the same basic electrical system.Mine did this same thing and I found that plugging it into another outlet did the trick. Someone said that the power was probably fluctuating on the line.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Harry I will try that tommorrow

My Jet 1642 had the same issue a number of years ago. Turned out to be the on/off switch. Wood dust got on the contacts. I fixed the problem for a while by opening the belt access door and giving the back of the control panel a blast of compressed air once a week. Finally had to replace the on/off switch. The new switch I used is sealed. Got it from Grainger. Still blow out the control panel just in case. No problems after two years .

I had a similar problem but it was with a remote switch that I had wired in. I removed the switch and the problem went away. My switchbox was not dust-proof. As I had not sealed the open where the wire entered. I have not had any problems since I removed the remote and have not replaced it (yet). I've had my Jet almost 5 years.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).