Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: You know you're a woodturner if....

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey M. Taylor View Post
    You know you are a woodturner if, when you say' no it is not thin enough' outsiders think you havent lost enough weight whe you are talking about wall thickness.[Hello Scott]. Max
    HEY! I resemble that remark (both in turning and waistline)!!!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Speier View Post
    You know your a Woodturner when you take the time to read all the postings
    Ah! Now I know where to send the newbies! Instant woodturning abilities!
    CarveWright Model C
    Stratos Lathe
    Jet 1014
    Half-a-Brain

I hope I didn't miss this one. You know you're a woodturner when you drink your coffee with wood chips in it.
    Thought of this when I set my coffee on the head of my PM3520b and took a sip, and got a mouth full. No need to spit it out, just chewed it up and kept going.

That sounds like a keeper Robert.
    I've got lots of practice at making firewood!

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    When there is thunder, lightening, and the power goes out, and you say, "Great news-- a tree just fell and knocked out a power line and I'm going out to look for it," everyone is convinced you're a woidturner.

Port Orchard, WA, about half a mile from fellow turner Russell Neyman, which isn't far enough.
    And you KNOW you're a SEGMENTED BOWLTURNER when you purchase your glue a gallon at a time!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Doerr View Post
    ...when your weekly "trash" from the shop is 3 time larger than your regular household trash.
    Or when your trash company refuses to pick up the bags from your shop because they think it is "yard waste".
    Quando Omni Flunkus - Moritatem!

...when you blow your nose and the boogers look like MDF.
    Last edited by Russell Neyman; 05-04-2014 at 9:49 PM.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bergstrom View Post
    You know you a a woodturner if the surface of your table saw has become a very expensive tool rack!
    I put down a piece of plywood on top of my tablesaw, and even glued rails on it so the chisels won't roll off from the vibration of the lathe!

you might be a woodturner: You send 4-5 hundred for a chainsaw with extra chains, oil,fuel, put them in a 20 thousand $ truck, drive many miles to a storm downed tree, cut off a few pieces of the log.drive back home, seal it, wait 5 or 6 months for it to dry, pull it down off the shelf and call it "free wood". Max

When you don't even have to go out to the shop to end up with shavings in your shorts!

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bowman View Post
    I hope I didn't miss this one. You know you're a woodturner when you drink your coffee with wood chips in it.
    Thought of this when I set my coffee on the head of my PM3520b and took a sip, and got a mouth full. No need to spit it out, just chewed it up and kept going.
    Me was actually able to solve this one! ... cover the coffee cup with a used finishing rag and hold it down with an extra turning blank.

You know you're a woodturner when you've got plastic laminated business cards that you tack to cut trees in people's yards telling them to call you if they'd like a turned piece in exchange for a few logs.

You know you're a woodturner when you've got the local tree services on speed dial.

You know you're a woodturner when the local tree services have YOU on speed dial.

You know you're a woodturner when all the mulch around the trees and planting areas in your yard are multi-colored and you actually know what bowl shavings are around what tree.

.... you know which neighbors' trees to check on after a bad storm.

Thought you guys might enjoy the collection. Add a few and I'll update the essay

https://turnabouts.wordpress.com/201...eff-foxworthy/

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."