View Poll Results: Do you want a woodturner's forum?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I want a forum specific to woodturning.

68 65.38%
  • No, I do not want a forum specific to woodturning.

36 34.62%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we need a woodturner's forum?

Well I like the combination of turning and flatwork in one forum. That's probably because I mostly use turning in combination with flat work. Also, I think there is a lot of cross over in finishing work. And the guys creating segmented turnings are always coming up with wild combinations of wood that can be used on flatwork. Not to mention the accurate ways they come up with cutting segments and doing quick glue ups. I wouldn't go looking for that. It's nice to see it mixed in and use their tips in ways they probably wouldn't expect.

It's not a big deal to have a seperate forum if the people who are primarily turners would benefit more from this site with their own forum. I prefer to hear from them in the same room as the flat working guys.

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)

Talking My 2¢ worth

My personal opinion (aside from being a moderator) is not to have a unique turners' forum. Bill Grumbine, Lee Schierer and Jason Roehl have made some excellent points (along with others). The majority of "turners" are also "flat" woodworkers. Some of the same techniques are used in both types of work. I wouldn't call myself either a "flat guy" or a "round guy".

To seperate turners from others by a unique forum diminishes the "community" atmosphere, they are not lepers - they are woodworkers

Besides isn't a lathe a "power tool" - therefore: "The Power Tool Forum"
    Last edited by Ken Salisbury; 07-22-2003 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Salisbury
    ... Besides isn't a lathe a "power tool" - therefore: "The Power Tool Forum"
    OK, Ken

Then, any work done with a bow lathe or a treadle lathe (hand-powered and foot-powered respectively) should be posted on the "Neanderthal Forum", right?

Just a minor quip to inject a little humor...

Cheers,
    Bob

P.S. I do both, even though turning has consumed me of late. Heck, last night I broke free from pen-turning and turned a toadstool out of a spalted oak branch from my firewood pile. Turned out pretty neat!
    pen-turner and aspiring cabinet-maker

I agree with Jason and Bill

I think you get more input when it is lumped together. I like hand tools, and use them frequently, but almost never go to the Neanderthal forum.
    I don't know why, but if there are new messages I read them. When I visit WC I almost never go to their site. I did on BP. So with all my rambling, I vote no to a seperate forum at this time.
    Thanks
    Jim
    Jim Fuller Lineville, Al

Several have said what I think. I do not think that more "Splinters" make for a smooth community. I would miss seeing Bill Grumbine's comments because I seldom go to other forums. It would be as if the turners do not do "power tool" projects.
    For me put me down as a no. I won't fuss about it either way. I would just live with it. Rob

I think it should stay as it is now. Too many specialty forums would tend to split up the membership or "community" as it's referred to. I frequent some other engineering related tech forums where the categories are WAY too specialized and fragmented. I enjoy seeing more diverse discussion lumped into one place. You get to know the people better. Just my 2¢.

I'd prefer a separate forum and I would undoubtedly frequent both. A separate forum would make it easier for me to focus on one or the other topic category.
    Kent Cori

Half a bubble off plumb

Thumbs up YES on the Turning Forum!!

Turners are NOT normal people!! We need all of the forums that we can get. That's because all of us need HELP! Believe it or not, many turners think that the world is actually ROUND! Can you imagine that level of mentality.

Seriously though, the more turning forums the better. Many folks give up on turning for very bad reasons. "Turning is only for artistic people". "I can't get a sharp tool". "Why does my skew, gouge, etc. always give me a "catch" on the last finishing touch?"

These, and many more are the reasons that many people quit turning and, thereby, deprive themselves of one of the real pleasures of life.

I've been turning for quite a few years and feel that I could learn from the questions of the most recent "newbie".

I would also hope that I could help to keep a few of them in the hobby if I had the chance to answer their questions. I know nothing but I could take a shot at a few of the most basic inquiries.

Dale T.
    I am so busy REMAKING my projects that I don't have time to make them the FIRST time!

I vote "no" as well. Bill, Jason, Ken and others have stated my opinions very well. Besides....I'm not sure that I understand what the real benefits of such a change would be.

Bottom Line, I visit Woodcentral every day as well as Saw Mill Creek, but I very rarely look in their "Turners" forum. I only have a finite amount to time to browse the web, and the "perceived" extra time I would spend getting sucked into another forum keeps me from going in there. The same would happen here.

I'm not a turner, but I like to see what their up to when I browse the power tool forum. Perhaps one day, with you encouragement, I will take the leap!

-Bryan

My immediate reaction to this was to vote yes. However, as I read the comments and realize that some don't do as I do...read all the forums by clicking View New Posts...I'm taking back my yes vote.

I have participated in many forums and observed them begin to fall apart because some people began to feel left out. I really don't want that to happen here...even though I have refused to get caught up in the round world spiral by turning on my little lathe to do nothing but make a handle or fix something...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Esteemed Members and Guests,

Here is an issue that has surfaced both here and at Badger Pond:

Should we create a woodturner's forum?

There are two primary sides to this issue, which
    ultimately won out as a 'No' at Badger Pond--
    Yet, as you all know-- this is SawmillCreek.

With the new software, particularly the View New Posts feature,
    all new posts can be viewed on the same page. Thus, we
    don't lose solidarity by creating a new forum, while at the
    same time, the extra forum helps with organization-- if you want
    to go back and view all the posts related to turning, you simply
    go directly to the turning forum. If you wish to read all new posts,
    the software allows you to seamlessly view all forums to which you
    are subscribed.

Incidentally, we have decided to post a POLL.
    I yield the floor for discussion--

_Aaron_
    As a test, for my own curiosty, I posted a project on last 'weekends doins' thread related to lathe work. (not too scientific but...)

- A home built steady rest.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost...2&postcount=15

NOT as single reply?

Either the subject is of no interest to the membership at large or it was buried in what is becomming a very busy place.

While I understand the fellows that like to look at turners projects while they read the general powertool forum it makes continuity of information quite difficult should you be looking specifically for say... turning advice.

The message numbers are quite revealing with respect to the shear volume on this very popular sight.
    So, if we want to attract more turners, they shouldn't have to go on a "scavenger hunt" for related information here.

Bob

I don't have a problem with it either way I always view new posts & read almost everything anyway.
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Ok by me if...

I think another forum specifically for turning, projects, lathes and their tools, techniques would be good.

Laser woodworking is an example of an additional forum. I don't trun that much, but when I have a question

Just no to a separate Neanderthal Turning site, we have child labor issues to be careful of.

If too many forums is an issue, the "Design Forum" could be dropped.

Design issues are frequently discussed in the Power Tool Forum and there has been almost zero traffic in the Design Forum. It doesn't have a unique identity. It's not being used much, perhaps it should be cut.

Laser woodworking doesn't get much traffic either, but its identity is unique.
    Please consider becoming a contributing member of Sawmill Creek.
    The cost is minimal and the benefits are real. Donate

New Forums

New forums are not a problem, it takes less than five minutes for us to create a standard forum. Some forums take a little more time if we must create masks or other features. We could easily have hundreds of individual forums if required.

The Design Forum will most likely grow in time, it has a specific purpose and will most likely be used heavily for sharing drawings and ideas.

The laser forum was made for me to share information concerning a new technology that isn't in the mainstream but will be in time. Recent duties have robbed most of my free time lately and I haven't been able to keep the forum up with the latest projects. My last two posts concerning engraving involved marble and I placed them in the OT Forum...it seemed to be more appropriate for the subject.

The issue of creating a separate forum for turning is being revisited because we felt like our members have now used this particular software enough to understand the new features and how they work. Now that we are all acclimated to vBulletin a majority might prefer to make adjustments to the forums and it is worth discussing. We want to remain flexible so that everyone continues to be comfortable with the organization here.

We will not create a new forum for turning unless there is significant support for the change based on the total number of active members. If a majority of our active members prefer a new forum or organizational change we will make the necessary changes.