Thread: Box veneering

Box veneering

I do a lot of box making and I have started to use veneer. I was wondering when I use a plywood or mdf core, and I veneer the inside of the box before cutting the pieces to size. Should I veneer the outside at the same time with a cheap veneer to prevent warping. Then after the box is made do the finish veneer over the cheap veneer. Or can I just veneer the inside, make the box and then do the finish veneer on the outside?

Yes, always veneer both sides. If you only veneer one side the piece is likely warp. I assume its more of an issue on thinner stock. MDF will warp too. One side will warp because of the drying of the glue on only one side.
    Good luck
    Glen

I have veneered several panels and other pieces using mdf as a substrate and only veneered one side. No issues yet. Make sure you press the panel flat though! I have done what you are describing. I veneered both sides at once becuase it was easier and quicker. I was using 1/2" mdf for that project. I use 3/4" for most panels. The particular veneer you use and the glue can make a difference too. Oh, I've also used baltic birch as a substrate and only veneered one side with no issues.

Tony

It's an accepted practice to veneer both sides of any panel. However - for small items, like a jewellery box, there doesn't seem to be a problem. PROBABLY (and only a guess on my part) a combination of: the pieces are too small for the warping/twisting to have any noticeable affect, the small pieces are held in check by the joinery, and if the inside of the box is finished in any way, the finish will have a similar effect as the missing veneer when it comes to humidity.

I wouldn't try it on a large panel, though.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

If you can successfully veneer the outside after the box is assembled, could you veneer both the inside and the outside at that time ? I've done very little veneering myself and don't know if the veneer re-sizes versus the substrate during veneering but I thought it was worth asking the question.

Veneering the inside after assembly would be problematic. You need a press of some kind (vacuum bag, bolt down press, or something similar) to successfully apply the veneer.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

Adam,
    I have made a number of veneered boxes and I always veneer both sides of the material before I cut the pieces to length(miters, etc) for the ends and sides. I find that much easier than trying to veneer after assembly.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Harding View Post
    Veneering the inside after assembly would be problematic. You need a press of some kind (vacuum bag, bolt down press, or something similar) to successfully apply the veneer.
    That's what I was thinking, too. I wonder how the veneer is put on the outside after the box is assembled.

How do you support the inside when applying pressure to the outside ? Couldn't you use that support to apply pressure to the inside veneer ?

However, after thinking about this a bit I think I've answered my own question. It would be a hassle to keep a perfectly-sized piece of veneer in place on the inside while trying to clamp down, even though it would be contained by three sides. ..And then there's the glue squeeze-out. ..Not a pretty option.