Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need a Sharpening System Recommendation

I can officially no longer trust myself (i.e. I'm over 30, by about 2 hours).

Thanks guys
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach Dillinger View Post
    I can officially no longer trust myself (i.e. I'm over 30, by about 2 hours).

Thanks guys
    Welcome to club! I'll be 32 in two weeks. So far my 30s are way better than my 20s (except for maybe 2 years between the ages of 21 and 23, but I can't say for sure as I remember very little from that time)
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

30...32...children...*grumble. grumble*
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

Happy Birthday Zach

Did a bit more playing this morning and tonight with the PMV11 and oils stones. Nothing really different to report. Certainly very honable on both natural arks and sythetic AlOx stones. Certainly slower than vintage or 01, but certainly doesn't seem slower than A2. And again, I think its little easier than A2 because of the burr thing. Cutting speed compared A2 is probably about that same.

If you keep your bevels small or your hollow fresh there's very little loss of speed compared to simpler steel on oilstones. As the area being honed grows the speed definitly slows more in comparison to vintage or 01. That's all there really is to is. I'd still rather hone anything other than vintage steel on water stones (including modern 01), but do it right and you can certainly hone PMV11 on oil stone without problem.

No time to do a Derek-esc photographic write-up, but its probably not necessary. If you are comfortable honing A2 on oils stones you will certainly be comfortable honing PMV11 on oils stones, no question of that in my mind. If you don't like honing A2 on oil stones, than PMV11 may frustrate you as well, but there is chance it may do better for you in terms of honing...and if nothing else you'll need to hone it less often.

That's it, plain and simple. I'm bored of this now and will be going back to using my waterstones. Maybe if there is time I actually manage to work some wood as well. Peace out!
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 10-31-2013 at 8:59 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...