Thread: Wooden Screen Hangers

Wooden Screen Hangers

I need some advice on hangers for my wooden window screens. My shop has modern aluminum clad wood windows but my wife wants to put on wooden window screens to match our 1910 house. I can make the wooden screen frames fit without any problems - but all of the standard window screen hanger hardware I've been able to find is too short to clear the window and attach to the trim. I've played around with trying to attach the screens from inside, but nothing I've come up with works as well as the traditional method (especially considering I'll need to take them on and off second floor windows). Before I go out looking for someone who can custom make hangers, I thought I'd ask if anyone knows a source for hangers that might work. Thanks!004.jpg

I just did a Google search for "wooden screen hardware" and came up with many different designs. I recognized several of them as the designs that were used by my dad and uncles for their wooden storms and screens in the 1930's and 40's, and they all still seem to exist. Surely one of these designs will fit your needs.

Charley

Of course we started with the local hardware stores and then went to Google. The hanger in the picture is actually a storm window hanger we ordered on-line since it was a small bit longer than the normal screen hanger. So far - no luck.

Spacers?

Rick Potter

A few Google searches returns all kind of results and possibilities.

Maybe you don't have to hang them.
    Consider window screen snaps or window screen turn buttons

Besides the home building centers, try a good old fashioned hardware store, or a good glass company, the kind specializing in residential. Some only serve the commercial market; others do both.
    Last edited by Jeff Erbele; 10-20-2013 at 4:03 AM.

You might consider some pins that go through or attach to the stiles and engage a small hole in the window frame.

Made the screens before you had the hardware?
    I hate when that happens

Not being there, I can see a couple options with that picture
    1. shim out the top
    2. mortise the hardware into the screen
    3. re bend the hardware

Looks like whatever you do the flashing is going to come into play...

Good luck!
    Last edited by phil harold; 10-20-2013 at 6:20 PM.
    Carpe Lignum

Thanks for all of the input - I know it is hard to "see" my problem from the picture.
    Phil - I did just make one prototype screen, once I'm sure of what I want to do, I'll have 17 more screens to make. Jeff - the screen in the picture is actually installed with turn buttons, it was pretty fussy to do since you don't have good access to the edge of the screen from inside (which will make them hard to take off and put back on for cleaning). Regardless, the turn buttons may be what I end up doing when all is said and done. Most of all of the hanger hardware is designed for old windows where the window trim sits right up against the window screen frame. My "modern" windows have aluminum cladded sides that sit between where the screen goes and the wood trim around the window (with everything white, it is hard to see in the picture). I'm trying not to drill any holes into the aluminum cladding for fear of letting water get in to whatever is behind the cladding (Mike's pin idea would work and be almost invisible, I just don't want to drill into the aluminum). What I really need is just a hanger that is longer. I made one out of 1/8" aluminum but it wasn't pretty and I really don't want to do that 35 more times. I'm going to poke around some of the old hardware stores in town and look at one of the architectural antique dealers before I make any final decisions on how to go. Thanks again for all of the ideas.

This problem is a bit difficult to solve with a photo on one hand and search results on the other, determining if the two fit together properly. That being said, perhaps the best we can offer are ideas and suggestions.

I had two more ideas.
    * Small barrel bolts
    * Google < screw inserts for wood >
    It may be possible to install screw inserts in the window frame and drill mating holes in the screen frames slightly larger than the screw diameter. If you go this route, consider making a drilling template so the holes are positioned in the same location on all frames.