Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cybertron PC's Good or not ?

Cybertron PC's Good or not ?

I was looking at the Sears website and I see this new brand of computer : Cybertron PC. They don't look bad. Tried to check on their ratings, but could not find any info.

Anyone heard of these ?

Thanks,

Never heard of them...likely a "private label white box" product produced just for Sears (and maybe others).
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

You're thinking of buying a computer from Sears????

I was just on the Cybertron PC page and their prices seem to be very high for what you get.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    You're thinking of buying a computer from Sears????
    This was kind of my thinking... like buying a car at Wal-Mart.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    This was kind of my thinking... like buying a car at Wal-Mart.
    Totally different. At Walmart you'd get a cheap piece of junk, and you'd know it was junk but hey, it was cheap.. At Sears you'd get the same piece of junk but pay top dollar.

BTW, to the OP. Do yourself a favor and either find a good local computer store (getting to be a rare thing IMHO) or buy a Dell which comes with in-home service. Or buy a Mac. I thought hard about the latter but ended up getting the Dell. Got the wife a Dell too. The hard drive started going in it so I chatted with Dell support one evening. 2 days later they came to the house, swapped it out, and I restored from a good backup image from the day before the problems started and we were back up and running with a total of about 1 hour of my time. Obviously it would have been harder if I didn't have a good backup strategy, but that would be true of anyone. And you can't blame Dell for a defective commodity hard drive.

As I have found out, most local PC shops deal in Business machines. I was going to have one built, but none of the 4 shops I have locally know anything about gamer PCs. Or even one suitable for editing HiDef videos. So here is the PC I finally wound up with. http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...sktop_Computer
    They will ship it to you, or look for a store near you in their store finder..
    Awesome machine. ASRock motherboard. AMD A10 (quad core) M-Disk DVD burner. 500 watt PS. Every part in it is quality. Even has 2 HDMI outputs. With the AMD video card, you can have up to 6 monitors connected. Preloaded with Win 7 Pro. Comes with Win 8 Pro install disks, but I'll never use them.

I bought this one after getting a HP Pavilion from BestBuy. Had some trouble with it. HP support was non-existent, as was Seagate. I took it back, and went to Microcenter. A 1 hour drive for me, but well worth the effort.

The best part, no preloaded crap that you'll never use.
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 10-06-2013 at 8:57 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Microcenter sells good stuff and has a solid repair department. If you geeky, or geeky inclined, I would suggest Newegg. You won't have a bad computer, but you could save a few bucks going the Newegg route.
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

I have bought a lot of computers from Microcenter and they all have been good. In fact I bought 4 at the same time as I got them on clearance for what one of the newer models cost. The only difference was they had changed the case style.

Best part of the deal, MicroCenter has their own support forum. PowerSpec is their house brand.
    mctsol.com/phpBB3/index.php
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-07-2013 at 8:50 AM. Reason: Removed active forum link
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Blog Entries
    If you have one local, try Fry's... nothing like that here in the northeast and it royally stinks :-/
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Best part of the deal, MicroCenter has their own support forum. PowerSpec is their house brand.
    +1 on the Powerspec machines. I've probably bought 10 of them for myself and family over the last 20 years. Never had a part failure of any kind.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 10-07-2013 at 8:51 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    The conventional wisdom seems to be to buy a computer with high quality components so that it will last a long time. However, I have found that unless you have specific needs for extremely fast high end processor and/or graphics, the lower end computers like you find at Wal-Mart can provide a better value. Sure these will not last as long and have become more of a commodity type item, but is that really a bad thing? Most of these low-end computers have more than enough power to surf the web, do email and facebook. They even have enough processing power to handle programs like Sketchup and photo editing software. Why pay $700-$1000 when $300 will get you plenty of processing power? As far as service support goes, the majority of service issues will probably be software and OS related anyway and that is always best provided by the software company rather than the hardware company.
    Plus, for the most part, any computer is going to be obsolete within a couple of years anyway, so replacing a $300 computer is much easier to justify.
    My current computer is a Gateway I got from TigerDirect for less than $300 and I couldn't be happier. It needed some new drivers which I was able to download from the component manufactures such as Intel, and Nvidia, but all is running smoothly. I would imagine that a higher end computer would have the same situation. I am sure that in a couple of years I will be needing a new computer and I plan on getting it a Wal-Mart or Tiger Direct, who ever has the best deal at the time.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    If you have one local, try Fry's... nothing like that here in the northeast and it royally stinks :-/
    I think Micro Center is as close as you'll come. They seem a bit less consumer oriented than Best Buy et. al. On the other hand, Joe or Josephine Consumer is not going to have a clue what some of the stuff on display such as their cables and connectors are for and may feel overwhelmed. It's about the only game in town for retail roll-your-own or replacement/repair. Your area has stores in Rockville , Towson and Fairfax.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 10-07-2013 at 10:10 AM.