Thread: aztec calendar

aztec calendar

lasering an aztec calendar ,quite complicated diagram but worked out ok ,took a few attempts

http://youtu.be/bRq9O87ZhFE
    I have never done something so complex before and it was hard with a few messed up attempts
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work Stan,

What is the diameter?
    Last edited by David Rust; 09-07-2013 at 11:09 PM. Reason: wording
    Epilog Helix 60w
    Epilog Mini 18 30W
    Purex Xbase 200
    CorelDRAW X7
    Wood Carver

Looks nice Stan! Any reason you didn't raster engrave it? Curious as to why you vector marked it all. No right or wrong, just curious.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Stan,

Nice work on the calendar and I noticed that you must have over a hundred videos on You Tube. Lots of CNC and Laser Engraving videos that are very informative, thanks for all the work you put into these and for sharing them.

you are welcome ,i have a hugh passion for the 2 cnc machines and i am retired and have the time to dedicate to learning and showing
    I'm always experimenting

its 10 in dia.
    I did find the file hard to handle (*.dxf),i downloaded it and when i loaded it into laser cut and did a simulation to check on just how much time it would take it
    would take I saw these strikes or tool paths way off to the x or y diestion outside the bounds of the work piece.Sure enough into the cut or burn 7 min
    the laser takes off and hits a y limit hard enough that upon return the diagram is now off ,tried this a few more times and it kept doing it (y or x runing my work piece)
    I then got a newer copy of the file ran it through corel (reducing the nodes)(resizing it ) and trying it again.Once i even had runouit of laser memory and it would not load.
    This was the toughtest project i have taken on.
    And i am not sure why yet,would like to try it 20 in x 20 in but i might be pressing my luck
    Last edited by stan kern; 09-08-2013 at 9:32 PM.

I prefer what i call a scribe cut ,i cut it just enough to really mark it ,looks like black ink not a burn
    I should try a raster engrave ,vut i seem to really go for the scribe or light burn cut.

everyone:
    I had quite a time with this file ,seems like one can hit the limit to what the laser memory can hold as i bumped into that a few times .
    Secondy the file was hugh and i found the lasercut really paused at it.One file i ran the simulator and it showed the head going out of bounds
    so on a 16 in run the head was hit the stops ,my table is 24x36.I do not know what generated the path but i soon got rid that file
    This project took a lot of time seems i was pushing everything on the laser settings,but i like it

I did that on 12x12 marble and granite, also did one on Black Cherry 19" dia on my 12x24 epilog. did it in halves and glued them together. Posted pics a few yrs ago, I think they are in my Picture Trail albums if you care to look. Someone on the forum did a big one with a CNC router back then too. Mine were all raster, have done lots of coasters and trivets. Put 6 of those 3.85" dia on one file and they take a long time to load.
    Ray Mighells Killbuck NY
    Nice Wood For Laser
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?id=155

I did this file yesterday and the only problem I had was a few circles would not burn. The laser went thru the motions, but wasn't firing.
    I am sure that if I re-drawed all of those circles it would work, but good grief.
    Rabbit RL-80-9060
    Roland SP-540i
    Graphtec ce5000-60
    Graphtec fc7000-100
    Happy HDC2-1501
    Juki 1541s

When I did it, I rastered it in Corian and made a silicone mold of it.
    Then poured black resin with powdered bronze in it. Buffed it out
    with steel wool, so it looks like a bronze plaque. Can't tell from this
    pic, which had the plaque laying on the scanner, but the bronze can
    come up with a high luster if you use 0000 steel wool.
    Fun project.. don't think I'd do another one though..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beautiful work Chuck. While you mentioned it fit on the scanner, what size was that project?
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

wow, Chuck, that looks great. I'll have to try your technique! Vicki

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    Beautiful work Chuck. While you mentioned it fit on the scanner, what size was that project?

I think I did it at 12" .. had to scan twice and stitch it together