Thread: Source for pieces of Corian or similar

Source for pieces of Corian or similar

I manufacture vacuum chambers. Now that I have a CNC router, I have changed my lid design to take advantage of the router. I have made a couple of test lids with 3/4" type 1 PVC and they worked great. I thought it might be nice to do them out of Corian or other solid surface material since it is nicer looking than gray PVC. Does anyone know where I could buy some pieces to test with? I would need 12"x12" pieces at least 1/2". I would prefer 3/4" but I don't believe it is readily available, correct? If you could point me in the right direction or if you have some you would be willing to sell, please let me know.

Thank you!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

Blog Entries
    I believe there are still a few 3/4" sheets being sold, but the color selection is severely limited (I admit, my info on this may be outdated and they may truly no longer be available).

Call DuPont (or log onto their website) and look for your local supplier. You should be able to pick up whatever color you want in full sheet form without a problem... tell them you want to make plaques as I think they would have a conniption right there if you told them its actual purpose of being a pressure vessel.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Curtis,

The last time I priced 3/4" thick Corian it was $770.00 for a full sheet of Glacier White. Half inch Glacier White is just under $300.00 depending on the distributor in your area. Prices for Avonite are comparable to Corian here in my area but they have a better selection of 1/4" thick material in stock.

Dan is right that the selection of 3/4" Corian is limited to just a few colors.

Your best bet is to find a local counter top fabrication shop and ask if they will sell you their drops. The double-sink cutouts are a nice size for projects and they generally have plenty of them, some throw them in the dumpster and are happy to give them away.

There are web sites that sell Corian and other solid surface pieces but the prices are a bit high IMO. Shipping large pieces is also expensive because of the weight. If you can't find a source for your 12" squares let me know.

Craigslist. I found a supply of thinner stock that works for me listed for a shop that closed.

Contact a local countertop shop. Sounds like sink cutouts would be just perfect for this. I've got a stack in my basement that I got for free years ago.

Thank you for the replies, everyone! I may end up just sticking with PVC. I get 3/4" PVC in 4x8 sheets for $325 delivered and already cut in half. I am not sure that 1/2" Corian would be stiff enough for my application and think I would need 3/4". Unfortunately, there are no solid surface counter top fabricators in town. The nearest would be about 30 miles away and that is just not convenient to have to drive there to pick up off cuts. Also, I would need a high volume of off cuts and the chance of them having high volume of 3/4" off cuts is pretty slim I would guess. I think I will still try to get some just for testing purposes.

Thanks again!
    Curtis O. Seebeck
    Need Cactus Juice?

As other have said, Ebay is one possibility. Another is solidsurface.com, I think their shipping is not too expensive on smaller pieces that can ship UPS. I've found the stuff surprisingly strong but when it fails, it doesn't flex much or deform, it just snaps. The other kicker for small pieces is glue or adhesive. Gluewarehouse.com has their own brand of sealant but they're $35.75 for a single tube and they require a special 'double barreled' gun that they get $79 for plus single use special mixing tips. I've found System3 5 minute epoxy will bond the stuff but I've never tested it to destruction to know how strong epoxy joints are.

Curtis,

I think you will find that half inch Corian is more substantial than three quarter inch thick PVC. I use both in my shop.