Thread: Well here is what I'm

Well here is what I'm

Going with I think I still may curve the end of the table top, and not use thru tenons. Not without challenges but hey ! I'm always up for a challenge.

Keith
    Attached Images Attached Images

Honestly...

It looks like a spider. Entirely too busy now. It doesn't resemble your original design at all. Not sure where it's going, but I don't think it has any cohesion at all. The huge (and I repeat huge) triangular corner connecting blocks are aweful. I'd do a little more playing with the design, but that's just me. You really had something with the original top, but now, it gets completely lost in the network, or spindly, and awkward legs, and stretchers. Not to rip the piece, but man, it's time to take a few steps back.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Christopher
    Going with I think I still may curve the end of the table top, and not use thru tenons. Not without challenges but hey ! I'm always up for a challenge.

Keith

I have to agree with Steve.

I think the only problem with your original design was that the legs were a bit to chunky and too angular.

Here is a quickie suggestion for how the legs could be shaped using the original top. I took the curve from the ends of the top of the table and reversed it, to make a sort of hour-glass shape. Then I added a half-elipse along the bottom.

This is just a suggestion, of course, and I would not even offer it but for the fact that you said this needed to be a piece that the populace at large could appreciate. It's not meant to be a solution, merely a suggestion for a line of thinking that might lead you back to the more simple elegance of the original top.

Sorry about the lame rendering. All I have it MSFT Paint. The shape I'm referring to is the part in black.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ---------------------------------------
    James Krenov says that "the craftsman lives in a
    condition where the size of his public is almost in
    inverse proportion to the quality of his work."
    (James Krenov, A Cabinetmaker's Notebook, 1976.)

I guess my public must be pretty huge then.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wargo
    It looks like a spider. Entirely too busy now. It doesn't resemble your original design at all. Not sure where it's going, but I don't think it has any cohesion at all. The huge (and I repeat huge) triangular corner connecting blocks are aweful. I'd do a little more playing with the design, but that's just me. You really had something with the original top, but now, it gets completely lost in the network, or spindly, and awkward legs, and stretchers. Not to rip the piece, but man, it's time to take a few steps back.
    C'mon...whaddaya really think?

I wasn't involved in the 'original' discusion, because I'm not an artsy guy...but the only thing that 'sticks out' on this to me is the 'underneath' stuff. The curves look out of place, and I distictly dislike the middle piece where they come together. Elsewise, I think it's cool.

KC

Keith, I see you're still developing the table. Don't get hung up in trying to make it perfect the first time. If you're a true woodworker/artist you'll never be 100% satisfied.

Everyone has an opinion and sometimes you can get a consensus. I see a different piece I guess from others. I know you're not going to sell this piece to a woodworker, but you're looking for that person in the upper 5% of the income population. In a gallery this table should go for $2000-$4000 retail.

Myself, I like the direction you've taken. You might consider working on the connectors from the legs to the top, they do look a little clunky. Also you might try working some on the relationship of the legs to the top, move them around some.

I would take a look at some of the furniture that is sold in galleries:
    I'm not going to post the links but I'll give some places to look up. You can get an idea of what is being shown and sold in Galleries currently.

Grovewood Gallery
    Pritam and Eames
    Furniture Society Makers Porfolio under members
    Look at Philadelphia and Providence fine furniture shows
    Bayfront Gallery

Best of luck with your piece.

I like the general idea a lot!! The rectangular top doesn't quite meld with all of the curves of the undercarriage. I wonder what it would look like if the top had a slight hourglass shape to it...not real extreme...just enough of a curve to tie the shape of the top to the undercarriage??

Quote Originally Posted by rick fulton
    Definitely more challenging than your original design, but much more elegant. Excellent project – custom, artistic, craftsmanship, quality wood – I hope it is also profitable.

BTW, what CAD program are you using to capture your drawings? You cranked out multiple variations on the design rather quickly. Would the same program be adequate for a kitchen cabinet design (with cut lists) or is it better suited for quick sketches?

Thanks for sharing!
    rick
    Rick,

I use a program called Lightwave by NewTek. In another life I was an 3-D Animator so cranking out something like this is easy for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wargo
    Steve,

I'm still thinking the triangle supports, I just needed to tie it in somehow. Thanks for the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by General Concensus

Square top not good.

I have to agree on this point.
    Last edited by Keith Christopher; 08-01-2005 at 12:57 PM.

As someone else mentioned, I think it's too busy now. But some folks like 'busy', so I'll leave it at that. Like I said in your other thread, downsizing this leg design and returning to your original top design has greater appeal to me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Bill Arnold
    NRA Life Member
    Member of Mensa
    Live every day like it's your last, but don't forget to stop and smell the roses.