Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some Days I Feel Older Than Others

Belinda, don't worry about 50, unless you're a late bloomer. It was no different than 49. 40 is the one that killed me. That very afternoon I felt like my body fell apart.
    I used to watch my brother, 3 years older, do programming on punch cards. His first job out of college was at XXXXXX Bank in OKC. He wrote a program that tracked loans by loan officer. Several loan officers lost their jobs, IIRC one was a Vice President. IBM purchased the rights to the program from the bank, and marketed it to other banks. I think it had my brother credited, but of course the bank got all the money. He had a terminal where he could write and punch cards at home when he had an idea. It was pretty slick way back when......
    My first computer was an Atari 400 with a cassette tape back up. I used it for years playing video games. Wasn't much of a computer, but it was fun to do some very basic stuff on. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

My sister is a professional dancer and dance teacher. She is 39 plus shipping, handling and sales tax.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Well, my goodnesss Jim. From your pic you don't look a day over 3 or 4. Forty didn't bother me at all. There are several 'transitions' going on my life right now so I'm tending to overthink things. Just thought I'd be in a different place at this age, but life doesn't always play by my rules - darn it. I'm going to try not to work on my birthday. I have several lady friends who, along with me, aren't expecting a valentine in the mail so I think we are going to stay at a farm nearby on the following weekend and have a big ol' party. Yeah, I know, no pics - didn't happen . . . and this is why there will be no pics! I really should just go to Vegas . . .

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda Williamson View Post
    It is possible Rich, that I am feeling this way as I am about to celebrate the 25th anniversary of my 25th birthday. Birthdays have never bothered me before but I can't quite get a grip on this one.
    Once again, Belinda; you make me laugh!

What kind of application is it? If it's green screen, and and accessing menus and commands is a function key, as another poster said, it may be iSeries (formerly AS400, formerly System/3). Primitive and frustrating, but still supported in modern versions and damn near bullet proof. Of course there is the extremely unlikely possibility of mainframe DOS, now called z/VSE I think. My old job ran DOS-based PC's with a custom application right up until we went out of business in 2001.
    Being well-read is not the same as knowing what you are doing.

aging

speaking of aging, as we seem to be doing on this thread, I was one year old when the dead sea first got sick. [86] Max.