Thread: A little bit of good out of something bad

A little bit of good out of something bad

I suppose you all know our area suffered Sandy the super storm. I lost power for nine days and consider myself lucky after seeing areas further east that made our damage look light. However, we did lose lots of trees in the process. Most were oaks and big evergreens. I was driving by one of the hard struck areas when I spied a downed oak next to a driveway. There was a pretty good size burr 10 feet above the base. The home owner cut the tree but stopped at the burr. I don't think they could cut through it. I knocked on the door and asked if they had any takers for the wood. I told them if it was in good shape it had the potential for some nice turnings. Offering to make something for them they gladly gave it to me. It's not easy to get make good use of a big burl. My friendly tree guy was working next door and used his logging hook to maneuver it into a box truck for me.

We unloaded at my house with my tractor. I would guess it was 1500 pounds or so. I decided I would not use that much burr so I called a friend and yesterday we went at it.You really need to plan out your cuts or you end up with a couple caps and a bunch of wedges. After removing the tree portion on the ends we cut the first cap to reveal the inside.
    2.jpg
    After that we removed as much of the tree portion as possible to just leave burr.

3.jpg4.jpg

Our goal was to end up with usable caps for bowl blanks and as large a block as possible that we could cut into turning blanks for hollow forms 9" on diameter.
    5.jpg6.jpg
    In the end we pretty much accomplished our goal. Then we took four chunks to give to two mutual friends and split the rest between the two of us. I have three large squares, two caps and a bunch of small pieces to make little hollow forms. I remember several posts where people asks how to cut a burr and I thought this might prove helpful to them.
    faust
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (112.7 KB, 137 views)

Faust, that is a spectacular chunk of wood! Not trying to be picky, but do you mean burr or burl? Is there a difference? I'm not usually a fan of oak, but yeah, I don't think I could have passed that one up either! Looking forward to seeing what you make out of it all...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Nice "haul", literally Butch. Now get to getting with it.
    Tony

"Soldier On"

Wow! Now that's a gloat. I can't wait to see what you turn that into
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

Aww man... now I have to go get a paper towel and dry off my keyboard. Oh well... it was getting dirty anyway.
    David DeCristoforo

Oh my lord, Faust!! That is gorgeous!! The grain is spectacular; I can't wait to see what you turn out of it.

Mike, I don't know Faust's home background, but the British use the term burr when we use burl, and they mean the same. As usual, those Brits don't always speak proper English!

Great glost Faust. Going to make some nice turnings.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I'm probably not correct but I use the term '"burr" to talk about any abnormality on a tree that I think may contain unique wood. I usually use the term "burl" when I talk about wood that has eyelets, like the burl on maple or root burl. Oak doesn't get the same eyelets, just some amazing and unusual grain. I will get to turning a bit of it sooner or later. The other piece of "good" that came out of Sandy is the need for fabric structures to house and feed relief workers. That has kept our tent company busy long after the normal season. My lathe is happily collecting dust for a while but my men and I are busy with work. A little bit of good...............
    faust

Faust, I've always known those growths to be called, burls. So that's what I call them. But your explanation makes perfect sense, and who am I to argue! Burl, berl, burr...whatever...that's some puuuuuurdy stuff! I wonder if that makes Jim Burr not full of eyelets, rather just unusual and squirrely.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Great looking piece of wood Faust! Enjoy!!