Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser Engraving cost??

Laser Engraving cost??

Hi All at SMK,
    I have laser engraved some pens and cases on top and inside the case. I have taken the logo and artwork and made it to customer specs. I have also engraved 30 pen upper barrels. I am trying to figure the cost for doing the upper barrel and cases and am looking for help at pricing the engraving. It took 2:45 min/sec to do the pen case top, 1:20 min/sec to do the inside of the case and 1:20 min/secs to do the pen. I did the art prep work as well. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts??? Thanks for any help and all sugesstions.

MikeB.

I just did a similar job. $1.50 per minute of laser time, $50 set up + 2 x materials.
    Ernie Martinez
    Ocala Florida
    Epilog Mini 24 50W
    Windows 7 Corel X6, PhotoLaser +v9
    Laguna IQ CNC Router
    Vectric Vcarve Pro
    Smithy Granite 1324 Mill/Drill/Lathe
    Grizzly GO621X Bandsaw

Thanks Ernie!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Martinez View Post
    I just did a similar job. $1.50 per minute of laser time, $50 set up + 2 x materials.
    That helps out and thank you!!

Mike B.

I do pens for $10 each. The cases would also be $10 each. I price as not to have to add "setup" fees. For 30 I would likely discount the order - more so if this is a repeat customer. I should add, that I built a jig to easily do a dozen or so pens at the same time. This saves me a lot of setup time.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

A $50 setup fee for a pen seems pretty excessive, unless you just don't want to do any. Pens are usually just a name and maybe a title under it. Can't imagine anyone paying $50+ to get a name on a pen. I charge $8-10 and will discount for multiples at the same time. I don't have a rotary so maybe setup on that takes more time. Don't feel I need one for just names. Done a lot of them over the years since I make them myself to sell.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin
    SawmillCreek.org
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    45W Epilog Helix
    Corel X4, Photoshop CS3
    Sherline 4400 lathe
    JET 1221 Lathe
    JET 1014 Lathe
    Craftman 36" VS lathe

Hub charges $70 for a setup, wants $.60 extra for personalization, and they have a minimum of 75 pieces. Base cost is around $1.75-$2.00 for the pen. All they do all day is engrave and print on pens.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Hi Tim, Thanks for your input.

MIke B

Hi Jeff,
    I am with you on your suggestions and thanks.

Mike B.

Hi Ross,
    Thanks for your input.

Mike B.

Mike, what laser and power are you using? The reason I ask is it seems that it's taking quite a bit of time
    to engrave these. The pen for instance rarely takes me more than 15 sec. I mostly use standard pens from
    JDS, but there are many suppliers of pens out there. I sell pens w/engraving for $10, quantities can go as low as $3
    and I still will make good money per hour. Do you have a jig set up for the pens? Are you doing a mail merge if
    they have different engravings? Also if you auto focus, take that off if the pens are all the same that saves some time
    as the laser doesn't have to go through the process. Each of us have different clients and some here stay away from
    pens as they are cheap to purchase from promo companies. Last year I did 200 pens in less than 2 hrs and made right around
    $100 an hour so in can be done in the right circumstances.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I| just did 50 pen tops, all the same with logo and line of text. Setup $15.00 and $3.50 per pen. Did them two up, took 26 seconds engraving time per 2-pen run + about 15-30 seconds per run placement and pick-up and 15 minutes re-pack for the whole 50 pens
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

I must be way under priced. We are going along with the prices the original owners of the store had and we are making some adjustments as we go. If a customer buys the pen in the store - that includes the laser fee, they bring it in - $2.50 a pen.

I just did a order of 150 aluminum pens and I made a "small" jig that held 48 pens to see how that worked. It was great and next time I have a large order I will make a bigger one to cover more of the table.

Jeff,
    What did the jig look like? and did you use step and repeat?

Mike,

Just finished 150 for $2 each. Engraved two sides of the top. Jig set for 40 pens at a time. Customer brought pen boxes later. 2 lines at $2 per box. Good profit, honest work. Trick is in your templates and setup. Art work is a minimum of $20 one time. Now I have the art work and a repeat customer.
    Doug
    For all that I know there is so much more to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berndt View Post
    Jeff,
    What did the jig look like? and did you use step and repeat?
    I just drew a boxxy like silhouette that held the pen in place, tried it out, and then when I had it fit good enough-I made columns with the shapes and then vectored a piece of cardboard. High tech stuff from this guy!!!
    003 (2).jpg