Thread: My simple workstation for the Leigh Jig

My simple workstation for the Leigh Jig

I picked up a Leigh D-1258R-24 at an auction for $100. It is new in the box, unopened, but nearly 10 years old.
    After reading posts about this jig and speaking to Leigh’s tech support, I purchased the upgraded D4 clamping levers and side guides.
    I originally mounted it to a piece of plywood per the manual, to use as a clamping surface, but quickly decided that I wanted it raised up to get the side guides above the table top to aid in storage.
    Inspired by the shop-notes dovetail workstation for the Porter Cable, I decided to build this. It is very simple construction, almost heresy that a workstation designed for a dovetailing jig be butt jointed and pinned, but none the less here it is. It has a drawer to hold the manual, bits, tools, bushings, and I added a simple set of blocks in back to store the long rod used for sliding dovetails.

Larry

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Larry Marley; 10-24-2012 at 4:21 PM. Reason: sp
    Just cut off the parts that don't look like a bowl...

I like your drawer in the raised platform. I built a simpler version right in the middle of a project so I could get my jig high enough from the floor to fit 42" tall case sides into the jig. Kudos for being ready for something like that ahead of time !

No coincidences! I was using my D-4 last night and said to myself I need to taaise this higher above the bench and include some storage. Nice job & you'll love that jig!